Confused on what to buy for beginning.

michty
michty Posts: 17
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

This may be a fairly long post but here it goes. I’m looking for an entry level bike for cycling through the surrounding areas of where I live. There are plenty hills and wooded area along with tarmac and dirt track cycling. So ideally an all rounder that isn’t going to break the bank.

I have no idea where to start looking and what type of stuff I need. A friend recommended the Saracen Mantra Pro.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-48529/

Other bikes I have seen recommended for starting on other forum posts could be the VooDoo Bizango and also the Trek Xcaliber 7 and 8.

A person at work suggested these two but people I have spoken to don’t seem to know them very well.

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes/moun ... sin-29-80/

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes/moun ... ace-29-60/

I’ve been offered the following options also as a second hand option.

Option 1
Carbon Rocky Mountain Vertex Pro - Fox Float shocks, all the best bits - ridden on road three times - it's show room mint apparently.

Specification
Frame Sizes Medium
Frame Tubing RMB FORM Carbon Monocoque
Fork FOX 32 F100RL
Front Travel 100mm, Lockout / rebound
Rear Shock N/A
Rear Travel N/A
Headset FSA Orbit CS
Stem Easton EA50 flip-flop 31.8mm x 6° 90-100-110mm
Handlebar Easton EC90 CNT XC OE Mountain Bike Handlebars (31.8mm)
Brakes Formula ORO K24 hydraulic disc
Brake Levers Formula ORO K24
Shifters Shimano SLX Rapid Fire 9spd
Front Derailleur Shimano SLX Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT LP
Chainset Race Face Evolve XC X-Type 170-175mm 44/32/22T
Bottom Bracket Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
Pedals Crank Brothers Smarty
Hubs front Roval Controle SL XC DISC Wheelset
Hubs Rear Roval Controle SL XC DISC Wheelset
Cassette Shimano SLX-9 11-34T
Chain Shimano HG53
Spokes Roval Controle SL XC DISC Wheelset
Rims Roval Controle SL XC DISC Wheelset
Tyres Hutchinson Python 26
Seatpost Easton EA50 30.9mm
Saddle Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow Saddle (White)

Person hasn’t given me a price but said it will be within my budget.

Option 2

lapierre spicy 516 I think the model is , it has on virtually brand new pike front forks and a 1 x 10 converstion , it might even come with a rock shock reverb dropper seat post .

Person is after £1200

Option 3

Lapierre Spicy 216 (Medium frame)
Chris King Rear Hub
RockShox Seat Post
RockShox Domain front forks with 2 springs
Thomson Stem
Mavic Wheels
Maxxis Minion DH Super Tacky front and rear
TF Tuned Rear Shock
Formula RX brakes
Just fully serviced at a cost of £155 and bearings all done 10 months ago
Person is after £900

I’m ideally looking to spend between £500-£1000.
I need to get measured for sizes etc which I'm planning on doing upon my return to the UK next week. For a start, my height is pretty much bang on 6ft (183cm)

I am unsure what to get. Should I go for a mediocre beginners hard tail bike for my budget or get a good second hand bike? I felt it would be best to get some more opinions before a spent my hard earned on something.

Comments

• michty
    I think a hard tail is the way to go for me anyway although I don't really have much of a clue about wheel size, brake spec, suspension types (All I know I want lockable suspension) drivetrain etc.

I've had people saying you can't go wrong with a boardman for starters. Some of the bikes in my other post in this thread are listed in the bikeradar round up last summer.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... 000-29222/

The more I think about it, The more I think that a good second hand bike like I listed earlier may be wasted on me.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    The Radon bikes are pretty decent, I have a friend with one (I was torn between a Canyon & Radon when buying, went with Canyon in the end).

I didn't enjoy my Boardman when I had one (FS Pro), I got rid of it after a few months, but can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it.

If you're looking at hardtails (for the type of riding you've said you're looking at doing, the full suspensions may be a bit too much to begin with), On One have a Carbon 456 for £799 at the moment, which is a cracking deal. I had one of these too (I've been through a fair few bikes!! :lol:) and absolutely loved it, but I'm happier on a full suspension. Worth a thought though:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456CEVO ... ntain-bike

I'm 6'1", the 18" frame was spot on for me. This was mine if it helps for sizing ideas:
    P8140357.jpg
  • michty
    Hi Stav,

Many thanks for the reply.
    I think a hard tail would be better for my needs at this moment in time to be honest.

I hadn't heard of the Radon bikes before. It was only when someone at work recommended two of them that I looked into them further. I believe the components on them aren't too bad for the price range. I do really like the look of it though. Pity I can't try before I buy.

Someone on another forum pointed me in the direction of the on One 456's. I haven't heard of them either but did read they have a very good reputation. Do they have as good components as the Radon? As you can probably see, I don't have much of a clue.
  • Beardface
    Radon are similar to Canyon in the respect that they only do direct sales, so you won't know as much on them as you would a Giant, Trek or Specialized that you can find in your local bike shop for example.

Component wise, they're 2 different types of bike - the 456 is more of a 'hardcore hardtail', which could take more abuse than the 100mm travel Radons equivalent in price, but the components overall are better on the Radon options (ZR Race 27.5 & 29). However, the On One, although it uses a lot of in house components, has a Carbon frame... the frame is one of the most important parts, as you can upgrade around that over time. It's also worth mentioning that the 456 is a 26" wheel bike, so you're also possibly looking at 3 different wheel sizes. I've owned all 3 and personally like 27.5" the best.

Tough call,for tarmac & dirt track, the Radon would suit your needs for sure as more of an XC bike, but the 456 may allow you to explore more variety of trails over time. Not sure if this helps at all... :lol:

Also, if you were to head more towards the short travel, XC styled Radon, it may be worth a little look into short travel full suspension bikes, this Giant is a pretty good offer for example:
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... M-X-2-2013
  • michty
    Stav wrote:
    Radon are similar to Canyon in the respect that they only do direct sales, so you won't know as much on them as you would a Giant, Trek or Specialized that you can find in your local bike shop for example.

Component wise, they're 2 different types of bike - the 456 is more of a 'hardcore hardtail', which could take more abuse than the 100mm travel Radons equivalent in price, but the components overall are better on the Radon options (ZR Race 27.5 & 29). However, the On One, although it uses a lot of in house components, has a Carbon frame... the frame is one of the most important parts, as you can upgrade around that over time. It's also worth mentioning that the 456 is a 26" wheel bike, so you're also possibly looking at 3 different wheel sizes. I've owned all 3 and personally like 27.5" the best.

Tough call,for tarmac & dirt track, the Radon would suit your needs for sure as more of an XC bike, but the 456 may allow you to explore more variety of trails over time. Not sure if this helps at all... :lol:

Also, if you were to head more towards the short travel, XC styled Radon, it may be worth a little look into short travel full suspension bikes, this Giant is a pretty good offer for example:

Hi Stav,

Sorry for the delay. In a different time zone at the moment.
    I've been told about the 456's a few times now so have been looking at them. I think it would probably be between that or the Radon at the end of the day. However, Now that you have stuck the Giant into the mix, It is making me wonder if I should go down that route. Going by the pics, It looks like you can lock out all suspension so would that make it easier to ride on the flat tarmac bits?
  • michty
    oxoman wrote:
    The Giant is an awesome bike, it has a cracking spec, the reviews all rave about it. I am biased though as I have the SX version. By going through paulscycles you get a cracking bike with a big discount.

I'll add it to my short list then. Is it not a bit much for my needs though (Can be seen in post 1)
  • Beardface
    michty wrote:
    Is it not a bit much for my needs though (Can be seen in post 1)

Always better to be overbiked that underbiked :)

The Giant is a short travel full suspension, so would help you develop as you get better, fitter, more confident etc. It'll also protect your rear end a little more as it'll absorb the bumps/changes in terrain better than a hardtail would.

Looking at the options again, that would probably be my choice if I had the budget.
  • michty
    Stav wrote:
    michty wrote:
    Is it not a bit much for my needs though (Can be seen in post 1)

Always better to be overbiked that underbiked :)

The Giant is a short travel full suspension, so would help you develop as you get better, fitter, more confident etc. It'll also protect your rear end a little more as it'll absorb the bumps/changes in terrain better than a hardtail would.

Looking at the options again, that would probably be my choice if I had the budget.

I think you have me pretty much sold on that then.
    Just need to make sure a large will be suitable for me and I'll get it ordered. People seem to think it will be fine though being 183cm. I'll hold off until next week when I can get into a store and get measured plus have a sit on the other GIANT bikes they sell.
  • michty
    OK, I've been into a few bike stores today and they have been showing me around all types of bikes. They said I need a large frame.

I mentioned to them about the Giant Anthem X 2 and both places said they wouldn't even try to sell me a bike especially if I can get it for the price I can. So it looks like a no brainer.

Now, Which of these two should I go for and why?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s154p4 ... 9ER-4-2013

I'm guessing the X 2 has the slightly better components?