Thinking of converting a Hybrid to Mountain Bike

dave in swansea
dave in swansea Posts: 129
edited March 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi, I am a regular road cyclist, who fancies trying a bit of mountain biking (Or at least forest tracks).
I have a good hybrid that is not ridden these days. I could either sell to fund a cheap mountain bike, or put on the biggest cyclocross tyres I can fit and get stuck in.
The bike is a Merida Speeder T2, Tiagra and Avid Mini V brakes. I could probably fit tyres to 40mm, as it has 32mm slicks already.
How far would I get on a bike like this? At this stage I have no thoughts of trail centres or downhill technical routes. Just blasting round the local forestry.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    If you're looking at flattish tracks and a bit of gravel in good weather you'll be fine with your plan, actually you'd probably be very quick given the low weight of your hybrid. If you ever want to push to the next level you'd probably look at some suspension, but for a £50 investment it's definitely the best way forward
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will be better in mud than most mountain bikes if you put on CX tyres. For the cost of a pair of tyres it has to be worth a try. If you enjoy it then consider getting a mountain bike.
    A proper mountain bike will have more appropriate geometry, better disc brakes and suspension.