Second hand wheelset (hand built) or new (factory built)?

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy a cheap wheel set for less than £200 - I have no requirement for the wheel set to be light, but would obviously like it to be reliable.

There are the obvious heavily discounted wheel sets available from the likes of Merlin, Ribble etc. The other option is to go second hand - hand built as opposed to factory built. There are second hand wheel sets which are built with decent hubs - older model Dura Ace, Royce etc which to my knowledge can be re-built into newer wheel sets at a later date.
Would obviously like to hear other peoples opinions.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    5800 hubs on Ambrosio Evolution wheels should come at 200 pounds new, give or take
    left the forum March 2023
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Thanks for the quick response Ugo - Planet X does the build you suggest for £200. However, I have noticed second hand wheel sets with Mavic open pro etc rims and Royce/Dura Ace 7800 hubs going for less than £200. These wheels appear to be in good condition and a bit of bargain?

I only need the wheel set to take 9/10 speed shimano.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    letap73 wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response Ugo - Planet X does the build you suggest for £200. However, I have noticed second hand wheel sets with Mavic open pro etc rims and Royce/Dura Ace 7800 hubs going for less than £200. These wheels appear to be in good condition and a bit of bargain?

I only need the wheel set to take 9/10 speed shimano.

Yes, but they might have poor tension, worn bearings... you never know, do you?
    Expensive hubs are not necessarily a good thing, it just cost more to fix the problem
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    With new wheels, you do know what you're getting; secondhand could be anything, could be perfect, could be worn-out and knackered

If they're a few years old, the benefits of hand-bulding might well have been eroded away as they have become worn or damaged, tensions no longer the same, maybe no longer true

I have a pair of Harry Rowlands handbuilt wheels on my track bike - but I've crashed them and had to replace 3 or 4 spokes on the rear, so they're not exactly as they left Harry...