Shoes question

Mort11
Mort11 Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a pair of Sidi Logo road shoes and am wondering if I should get a size bigger than I take in a normal shoe, as you do with running shoes? Or should I get my normal size of shoe?

Cheers,

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    They want to be a snug fit, with no slop. Different cycling shoe manufacturers tend to come up smaller or larger compared to each other. Sidis tend to come up a little narrow, unless you opt for the wide versions.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Mort11 wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a pair of Sidi Logo road shoes and am wondering if I should get a size bigger than I take in a normal shoe, as you do with running shoes? Or should I get my normal size of shoe?

Cheers,
    Really. This is news to me. I have always bought my usual size shoe for running and never a size bigger. What is the reason for going one size up; curiosity?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    There have been many threads on this subject. Different manufacturers seem to have their own interpretation of shoe size. For Churches work shoes, I am size 10. For cycling, Spesh shoes are 45 and Sidi are 46. Been that way for years. I don't know why. I don't care why. That's just the way it is. For me. Different for others, particularly those with wide feet. Sidi have a wide fit which they call Mega. Hope this helps.

Peter
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    PS Golden rule if you haven't bought before. You've got to try them on. Traditionally you would visit a good bike shop and try them on. Modern way is to order several pairs of different sizes over the internet, try them on at home, and send them all back. Except the ones which fit - if you get lucky
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Most of the issue with cycling shoes come from width not length IME but not many manufacturers offer a wide fitting option in all their models so you often have to size up. I'm a size 10 trainer but 45's & 46's in Spesh, 45 in Shimano and 45 in Sidi - although it can vary by model from the same manufacturer as well. Plus factor in what socks you'll be wearing, your feet can get slightly bigger when hot and some uppers can stretch with use and it's a bit of a lottery. Short answer is you're better off trying them on in a shop and personally I'd err or the side of having a bit of room rather than being very snug.