Garmin quarter-turn adapter

Yankee1
Yankee1 Posts: 19
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I have an Edge 305 and would like to use an out-front mount on a new bike. I see that SRAM make an adapter, called the QuickView Computer Mount Adaptor, that allows the mounting of these older Garmins on their QuickView mounts. Does anyone know if the adapter also works with other brands of mounts? Or know of other adapters made?

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    The adapter converts it to the newer twist lock so yes you can use it with any out front mount. Personally I use the SRAM out front mount with the adapter and my Edge 705.
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    I use the adapter with my 705 with Superstar Components and K-Edge out front mounts and they are fine. I also had a Tate Labs Bar Fly 2.0 but that broke on a ride leaving my Garmin in the middle of the road.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I have a 305 with Sram adapter and Sram out front mount and it rattles as soon as the surface gets a little rough. The mount is also a bit high but they are cheaper than most. Another brand maybe better but I'm loathe to spend £30 on a bit of plastic.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • I have a 705 with both the Sram and K-Edge mounts. The Sram needed some damping (duct tape) to stop it rattling, the K-Edge works much better. The adapter will work with any mount that accepts 500/510/800/810/1000.
  • Yankee1
    Yankee1 Posts: 19
    Thanks everyone. I've now ordered the adapter and looking in to mounts. I'll probably go with a no-name off ebay or something nicer if one pops up in the classifieds.

As an FYI, I've found that Tate Labs specifically states that the BarFly 2.0 is not compatible with adapters.