jjl5590 Posts: 79
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
I can either get the:

Cube Analog for £450

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtai ... reen-2015/

Or

Voodoo Bizango for £600

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... in-bike-18

I like the Bizango better, and it has better spec, but is it worth the extra £150?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Riding off road Yes
    Riding on road No
  • jjl5590
    I'm going to be putting on semi-slicks and using it for my commute for the next 5 months, replacing my Saracen x27
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would go for the cube, or even better, a road bike.
    Mountain bikes suck on road. The riding position is wrong, gear ratios are wrong, geometry is wrong and they have more drag.
  • jjl5590
    Fair enough, but i'm only interested in a mountain bike. Any particular reason why the Cube?
  • rockmonkeysc
    On road you wont really see any benefit for your extra £150 if you get the voodoo. Off road the better suspension will really make a difference but you wont notice on road.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I agree with the above but if £150 isn't a bank breaker get the Voodoo and you will always have a bike capable of going off road when you see the light rather than having a bike not capable of it and having to find out the hard way.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or I get an MTB style Hybrid like the Voodoo Marasa and save a lot of money and it will be just as good on road anyway.

Maybe have a look at the Planet-X London road falt bar bike, excellent on road flat barred bike.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDT ... t-bar-bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    No you're not. Both look like good off-roaders, but you're making the wrong decision if you're getting either purely for an on-road commute. Look for a fully rigid hybrid instead.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    I use to commute on a mtb, back when I just wanted a mtb and frankly didn't know better. But I quickly realised that I was making life very difficult for myself. I removed my off road tyres and fitted slicks, this made things a lot better but my bike choice was a mistake.

I rode 10,000 miles on my GT Avalanche 2.0 and I use to think 15mph was bombing along, the same roads on my road bikes, 20-25mph easily.

As a roadie I'm pleading with you not to buy a mtd for work commuting, buy a road bike, CX bike or hybrid fella.
  • jjl5590
    Well I went for the Bizango, put some Big Bens on it and average around 15-20mph, going to 30mph downhill :)
  • The Rookie
    As long as you don't think that's fast.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    On my mountain bike I can average 14mph on my hilly commute. On my road bike I average just over 20mph and have topped out at 53mph down hill. My mountain bike is out of gears at just over 40mph.
    I hate road cycling but road bikes are a lot better than mountain bikes when I do have to commute on the road.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    On my mountain bike I can average 14mph on my hilly commute. On my road bike I average just over 20mph and have topped out at 53mph down hill. My mountain bike is out of gears at just over 40mph.
    I hate road cycling but road bikes are a lot better than mountain bikes when I do have to commute on the road.

Found similar when I tried maintaining my road bike speed on road riding my XC mountain bike. After about 7 miles I dropped off the road shattered. If you are not going off road and want an efficient mile muncher mountain bikes are noticeably slower.
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    really don't see the point in publishing speeds, whilst riding a mtb on the road - just shows you've made the wrong bike purchasing decision.

Still we all have to start somewhere, I've done the same and so have friends of mine.
  • The Rookie
    When I'm overseas I usually hire an MTB for our social road rides as the roads are dreadful, when I was planning a longer and faster ride I hired a Hybrid (still with suspension - a Giant Roam as it was the fastest bike the hire shop had) and got a PR on all the strava segments I rode without even trying....much faster.