Replacing marzocchi all mountain SL

cathymark74
cathymark74 Posts: 21
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have a Giant VT and am looking to update the fork etc, I know I can get a tapered steerer on there and that also means 140mm travel and I am after a bolt thru axle, but will a tapered steerer be noticeable? If ats a straight steerer then 150mm max, now I know that 32m stanchions are at or beyond their rigidity really so am after suggestions, I also will need a new front wheel at least but might get a pair, the forks I have in mind are x fusion slant and maybe a suntour durolux, I have seen too many rockshox and fox with ruined stanchions, I have always liked marzzochi but want something simpler than the sl's I have.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rockshox are very reliable, but as they sell so many you are bound to see some with damaged stanchions.

Sektor or Pike for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Marzocchi 350cr is very good. Really nice damping with a very stiff chassis and its low mainrenance and good value. It would be a huge improvement over the old All Mountain SL.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, i have just seen a set of cheap tapered sektor TK,130mm travel,15mm axle forks, i believe i can change the travel if needed but even better, i was given a set of stanchion damaged reba sl's a while ago and they had motion control dna poploc fitted!
    I assume this is far better than TK damping and hopefully should be an easy worthwhile fit?
    So would this outperform my old All Mountain SL? Actually would most modern forks outperform my SL? :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It probably wont fit the Sektor, definately not if its the Silver TK Sektor. Not all can have the travel changed.