Fitting Gear Cables to 105 Shifters.

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi Guys.

I am just doing a bike upgrade and fitting new 105 group set to my Specialized Diverge ( was claris)

I've done the brake cables and the brakes work great but the gear cables have become a problem as the gears don't work at all. I'm not sure if I have routed the cables properly.
Has anyone got clear pictures of where the cables should go?

All I'm left to do is gear cables then indexing and lastly the bar tape.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18

have a look at the Shimano tech docs for your shifters. Should tell you what you need to know. Is it the new 11 speed 5800 105? My only experience is with 5600 and they are a doddle because the cable just goes in from the outside of the shifter and emerges on the opposite, inside face. Virtually a straight line.

I'm guessing the under bar tape cable routing requires a more tortuous path through the shifter body...

Edited to add here's the dealer manual for 5800 shifters

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 0726,d.ZWU
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    5700... I do recommend brand new cables and outers first of all.it is a small price to pay.. that curvature of the bar will find out any weak spot that might lead to poor shifting or braking.

The gear cable routing does take a natural line underneath but slightly in front of the bars in order to make it feel ok for me when riding.
    s2y4ZIM.jpg
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    The 5700 ones are the awkward ones - the cable has to go in first then upwards round the curve - it's a real fiddle - the new 5800 is way easier. You need to print off a diagram of the thing and have it in front of you when dong the job
  • keef66
    JGSI wrote:
    5700... I do recommend brand new cables and outers first of all.it is a small price to pay.. that curvature of the bar will find out any weak spot that might lead to poor shifting or braking.

The gear cable routing does take a natural line underneath but slightly in front of the bars in order to make it feel ok for me when riding.
    s2y4ZIM.jpg

I'm liking the tasteful splashes of green in your colour scheme. Good work!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ta.... it's not exactly the right shade .. but it will suffice.
    It all started with them bars which were a bargain off PBK some time back.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    There are two exit routes for the 5700 gear cables - choose the one that results in the least acute cable angle for smoother shifting.

Make sure you shift to the highest gear. There is a side panel that you can screw off (small black screw - don't lose it) to give more accessibility to guiding the cable as it goes up the shifter.

This is a video of the 6700 - it's very similar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap49AnUsDIs&t=37
  • skooter
    Sorry for the late reply I've been up too my neck in work so thanks for all the reply's so far.

I must also say sorry as its the cable route through the shifter I've got problem with not the cable route round the bike.. sorry JGSI.

Funny you should mention new cables and outer cables I did buy some Shimano 105/Ultegra cables with lime green outer cables but I live in Spain and the bike is in our house in the UK, the new bike has a matt black frame but has blue on it, so I've just put the cables in and the green outer cables I will stick on another bike..
    Thanks keef66 and nigelgos for your links they are going to help.
  • skooter
    One other question..
    When I secured the shifter to the handle bar I tightened it up but heard a click does that mean its at the right torque or should I turn it a bit more?
  • keef66
    You really don't need to tighten the shifters too much. Just enough to keep them in position during normal riding. If you have a fall you want them to to be able to twist round the bar rather than snapping.

I use an allen key and just do them up finger tight.
  • skooter
    keef66 wrote:
    You really don't need to tighten the shifters too much. Just enough to keep them in position during normal riding. If you have a fall you want them to to be able to twist round the bar rather than snapping.

I use an allen key and just do them up finger tight.

Ok I must have them just about right then..
    Cheers