Canyon buying direct in Koblenz

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

Have any of you been over to Koblenz and bought directly in person from Canyon? If so then how did you find it?
Did you walk away with the bike in hand or had it shipped to the UK?
Was it worth it for the £ to Euro exchange rate? Did you fly or make the long car journey?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Hi mate,

Just signed up to say I am also interested in doing this. Seems like Cologne is the closest airport which is reasonable price-wise.

Otherwise I was planning on a drive down via Dover-Calais.

Would be good to hear other peoples thoughts.

It must be economical considering how strong the Pound is against the Euro.

Cheers,

Tom
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    It probably won't do much good but has everyone thinking about this sent a moaning e-mail to Canyon? We've got people getting bikes shipped to mates in Europe, others not buying because of the perception of being ripped off and now people driving to Germany.

Surely Canyon customer services must be able to at least consider doing something about this.

Here's the last debate on it (since when the Euro has dropped even further):

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13017711&p=19460313&hilit=canyon+euro#p19460313

Maybe there's a business in this for someone with a van!
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    Guess I can only give a partial answer. I now live in Germany - about an hour or so from Koblenz so the travel to visit is minimal. I went to the Canyon store. It is a museum/art gallery to go to. It is beautifully laid out and you can really enjoy the bikes and gear. Staff were great with advice and help. Size measuring was a good exercise – I was wavering between M and L, and could easily have ordered incorrectly if I had not gone in. Test rides are easy on the lot by the store.
    In terms of price, I can see the interest in buying with British card – I was able to buy with my British credit card and saved hundreds from when we moved to Germany a year ago to now. So, yes, there is definitely something to be said for that!
    No, I did not walk out with the bike. Even for ones in stock, mostly they are not available to take away. They will build up the frame/order and ship. My choice was supposedly not available for about 4 weeks, but in fact I went on the Saturday, got the confirmation email on the Monday, the bike shipped on the Tuesday and was in my hands on Thursday. The way the pound/euro is going if you have a delay looks like you will save even more – I note I would have.
    looking into the +1
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Koblenz is a beautiful town and the surrounding area of the river Mosel and the river Rhine are stunning for cycling... worth a trip... to test ride the bike... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Koblenz is a beautiful town and the surrounding area of the river Mosel and the river Rhine are stunning for cycling... worth a trip... to test ride the bike... :wink:
    Yes, I too am drawn by the lure of the endurace but knowing I will be ripped off for buying from the UK is putting me off. A trip to Koblenz would be a bit of a stretch though!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes, I too am drawn by the lure of the endurace but knowing I will be ripped off for buying from the UK is putting me off. A trip to Koblenz would be a bit of a stretch though!

If you live in the south it's not that far. I can't remember exactly but say 5 hours from Calais... and if you have a big car you can bomb on those German motorways. It is a really stunning place... rivers, great wine, hills, catles, great dedicated cyling routes, the lot. I think the Nurburgring is there too, if you are a car fanatic.
    I prefer Burg Eltz

Wierschem,_Burg_Eltz,_2012-08_CN-01.jpg
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Some great wine festivals in the towns of the Mosel Valley too. Small producers open up their garages, selling wine and food. Certainly well worth a visit.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    +1 to all the above travel and beauty comments. Calais to Koblenz is about four and a half hours.
    looking into the +1
  • bomster
    Thanks to all your replies. Seems like Koblenz could definitely be worth a visit during summer, especially if that's since I heard Canyon offer a discount during July to tie in with the TdF.

Regarding the shop itself, would they allow to pay in Euros in the shop and then have it shipped to the UK when it's ready (presuming you cannot just take the bike on the day, as most people have said)?

Flights to Cologne are ~£30 return with Ryainair, and then I guess you would need to hire a car to get to the shop but the bike would still be cheaper overall.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Following this thread with interested as i am also interested in purchasing a CF SL 9.0..unfortunately i live in scotland and driving is out of the question, there's also only one airport that fly's anywhere near koblenz. :?
  • bomster
    I wonder if anyone on here lives near Koblenz and would go and order bikes for people after you paid them the money through PayPal with a little extra for their troubles....

Awful lot of trust there though. Hmmmmm, I wish Canyon would do a mid-year currency review!
  • ugo.santalucia
    bomster wrote:
    I wonder if anyone on here lives near Koblenz and would go and order bikes for people after you paid them the money through PayPal with a little extra for their troubles....

Awful lot of trust there though. Hmmmmm, I wish Canyon would do a mid-year currency review!

Either that or buy something else... don't want to burst the bubble, but they're all the same shot... :shock:
  • bomster
    Good point. Perhaps it's time to look at Rose? Was planning on an Endurace CF 8.0 not sure what is similar.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Rose are looking great value at the moment if you're happy purchasing online. Equivalent to the Endurace would be the Team CGF
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bik ... -team-cgf/
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    What's the difference between Canyon and Rose in terms of pricing, they both sell bikes in Euros an pounds, so what is the issue with Canyon prices?
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I believe Canyon don't offer transactions in Euros to UK addresses and their prices do not fluctuate with currency values.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    They did till everyone started complaining when the £/€ rate goes the other way.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • bomster
    Paid for my bike in Euros in the end - now just trying to figure out the most cost effective way of getting it from Koblenz to the UK. Anyone got any advice?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Paid for my bike in Euros in the end - now just trying to figure out the most cost effective way of getting it from Koblenz to the UK. Anyone got any advice?

Ride it!
  • bomster

Ride it!

Haha, that is actually a good shout..
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    How does it work as Rose and Canyon both show out of stock on the bikes?
  • ugo.santalucia

Ride it!

Haha, that is actually a good shout..

It's not that far... seem to recall 5 hours drive from Calais... so should be a couple of days on the bike... :wink:
  • bomster
    How does it work as Rose and Canyon both show out of stock on the bikes?

?