DT Swiss R23 spline wheels

dizarch
dizarch Posts: 152
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

After much deliberation I'm almost pressing the buy button on the ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2.

I'm a fairly hefty bloke (200lbs/91kg) and ride a lot of poor quality B, C and D roads so the wheels get a fair old pounding.

The bike comes equipped with DT Swiss R23 spline wheels and I was wondering if anybody out there has much experience of them and how sturdy they might be.

Thanks
Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Not a lot of spokes there for a bigger chap. (20/24) They may hold up for a bit but I wouldn't like to be sat on them when the first spoke goes - there's not a lot to hold you up after that.......

Possibly worth flogging them off and commissioning a handbuilt pair using a 23mm wide rim and 28/32 spokes.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I think you can swap them for magic ksyrium elites which most think are "bombproof"
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • I weigh about 85kg and they have been fine for me. Done about 1000 miles on them on UK roads and they have been great.

Also all the parts are serviceable which is a bonus.
  • dizarch
    Unfortunately, the Mavics are an extra €589 which prices me out.

The company seems confident about the R23s so I think I'll bite the bullet, the sun is shining outside and a new bike for the summer is too tempting:-)

Thanks for the advice folks, always appreciated.

• galatzo
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-x- ... aid:754024

On this Elites are an extra £71 -there was no charge a few weeks aho if I remember right.

Now I've looked at yours I see it's disc brake so there we go !

Think the X-Lite above is far better value.
  • dizarch
    Awwwww! You can't say that just as my mind is made up!!

• galatzo
    Do you really need disc brakes ???
    Calipers work fine, are cheaper, discs still have a way to go on cheaper road bikes but are the latest thing to have according to the mags, they're fugly to on a road bike.
    Forget them and save the cash for a Mallorca trip.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Galatzo wrote:
    Do you really need disc brakes ???
    Calipers work fine, are cheaper, discs still have a way to go on cheaper road bikes but are the latest thing to have according to the mags, they're fugly to on a road bike.
    Forget them and save the cash for a Mallorca trip.

OP - ignore literally everything this guy says - he has not ridden a disc braked bike an thus has not seen the light!!

Basically, if you ever ride in the wet then it's a total no brainer...else there are pros an cons unless it has a hydraulic disc brake which is the best thing ever.

And a round disc at the centre of a round wheel is a billion times better looking and natural than a stupid calliper brake sticking out at the top!!! Why are you people so wrong?!?!? ;) :P
  • galatzo
    I had a Kinesis crosslight disc so yes I have ridden a disc bike.
    I concede in the wet they are better but they are not the be all and end all.
    I should have put a few imo's as caveats.
    I like my calipers and think they look neater.
    Some of the disc bikes manufacturers are putting out are not as good as the caliper equivalents and cost more hence my favourite of Calipers. Imo !
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    I hope you buy it........

This is very much my N+1 planned purchase - so would be very interested in your review
  • dizarch
    I've never ridden discs and looking at other bikes, I find that space where the calipers should be a tad disconcerting.

However, carrying 14+ stone of lard (down from 15+), I find stopping on short, steep and damp slopes is sometimes a bit of a lottery and, as the father of two young kids, I like the sense of security that discs will provide - it's amazing how priorities change over the years.

Additionally, a mate of mine pointed out that the wheels provide "more crosses (makes them stronger, teutonic engineering)in your spokes " so on the basis that we only live once.......I'm pressing the button this morning.

Thanks again for all the advice, it is hugely appreciated and I am practically cacking myself with anticipational excitement:-)

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Galatzo wrote:
    I had a Kinesis crosslight disc so yes I have ridden a disc bike.
    I concede in the wet they are better but they are not the be all and end all.
    I should have put a few imo's as caveats.
    I like my calipers and think they look neater.
    Some of the disc bikes manufacturers are putting out are not as good as the caliper equivalents and cost more hence my favourite of Calipers. Imo !

my post was meant as a bit tongue in cheek anyway so dont worry ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Any chance of a thread that doesn't end up in a disc-yes Vs disc-no debate?
    How about Shimano Vs Campagnolo Vs SRAM for a change?
    left the forum March 2023
  • lostboysaint
    It's disc braked and you're still happy to go with less spokes despite being 90+kg. Interesting decision.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's disc braked and you're still happy to go with less spokes despite being 90+kg. Interesting decision.

Twenty is plenty, innit? :wink:
  • lostboysaint

Twenty is plenty, innit? :wink:

If you like the stickers, of course!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dizarch
    As I said in the thread, I've been thinking about hand built wheels for a while so will very likely do as you suggested lostboy and sell the R23s.

As for the discs....I like the idea of being able to stop:-)

• ugo.santalucia
    DizArch wrote:

But don't touch the rotors... my glove caught fire when I did at the bottom of a 16% bump... :lol:
  • lostboysaint
    DizArch wrote:
    As I said in the thread, I've been thinking about hand built wheels for a while so will very likely do as you suggested lostboy and sell the R23s.

Sorry missed that, hence my rather sarcastic reply.

Good decision!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Out of curiosity has anybody weighed their R23s? It seems that there is a tendency for some manufactures to quote weights that do not match reality.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yeah most don't include the weight of rim tape, and often weights are stated to be within 10% for manufacturing tolerance reasons.
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    DizArch wrote:

DizArch - just checking to see if you have sold the R23s already, if not and you are still planning to sell them please send me a note as I am interested in buying them
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11
  • It's disc braked and you're still happy to go with less spokes despite being 90+kg. Interesting decision.
    Surely there is more to it than just spoke count.

I've been riding my Dura Ace C24s for a few years now. Only 20R 16F...and I'm currently 92kg but have been 95kg. Never had a problem with the wheels despite riding some atrocious roads.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger Posts: 2
    Very late to this party, but the thread came up on a Google search today so I'll chip in on the wheels. I've had the Rose Xeon CDX 3100 Di2 since June 2015, fitted with DT Swiss R23 Spline wheels. It's been my summer bike and has covered over 6,000 miles so far.

I find the wheels to be excellent and very solid. I weigh between 83- 92kg depending on season and greed and have an FTP of 295W. In March 2017 I had an accident which threw me from the bike when the front and rear wheels hit a metal post sticking a couple of inches out of the ground at 15 MPH. Snakebite punctures front and rear, me in hospital. Wheels undamaged. I've hit my fair share of pot holes too, but never so much as a broken spoke. Brilliant!

My winter bike has some shitty Campagnolo wheels as supplied with the bike and I've broken at least three spokes on the rear wheel so far (maybe four) and needed new rear bearings. That bike has now been consigned to turbo duty where the rear wheel is surplus to requirements on my Neo.