Campagnolo Bullet Hub

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited March 2015 in Workshop
While riding with a friend, his front Bullet wheel started making a horrible whine, suddenly. The axle was almost seized. It loosened off and moved again. On stripping it, one cartridge bearing turns nicely and the other moves about 10 degrees and is jammed as if there is a definite obstruction in it. Is this a normal porblem? It seems like something in the cartridge has broken off and jammed it. The axle turns on the inside of the cartridge, which will obviously cause rapid wear to the axle, so I have advised him not to use it. 6001 2RS is stamped on the cartridge. I take it going to a bearing shop and getting SKF ones would be better value than Campag? I am concerned re getting them out with a punch (I'm not buying a £60 tool). Anybody got experience of this problem?
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No, not expierienced, but it's not hard to solve...
    Punch them out carefully and replace by new ones, SKF is good. (original far too expensive)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have a Campag freehub that is for their thinner axle hubs which I think are as on the Bullets. It is new, unused except Ive removed the pawls to use on another hub. You can buy the pawls and spring easily for about £8-9. It seems all Campag hubs use the same pawls. Its yours for £20.00 posted.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    Thanks, it's a front wheel, but I got bearings (FAG) on line and they fitted in no bother.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west