Size.. 2014 Giant Defy 1

Martylou
Martylou Posts: 34
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all, looking for some advice ( New to this !) recently bought myself a giant defy 1 2014 model in a medium , as it was such a good deal, the problem i have i'm in between sizes as i'm 5"7 .5 with 31.5 inside leg, i now find it a little stretched out, get a bit of a sore upper back neck pain (not a bad pain just feel it slightly) so not enjoying it as should be !! :? am i better off getting a better fit bike.... Any advise welcome

Cheers

Comments

• yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    edited March 2015
    You can try a shorter stem, bars with shorter reach and moving the saddle forward a bit
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    A medium should still fit you, the medium comes with a 100mm stem so you could swap in a 80 or 90 mm to bring the bars a bit closer. If you have just started cycling it might just take a while before you get use to the position.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    You could try flipping the stem, I felt a bit stretched on my Defy, flipping the stem helped.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Martylou
    Thanks for input, was a bit disappointed that i may have bought the wrong size, as i was on the end of scale for a small, and only just a medium. :? ...

Yes i am new to riding only feel the back/neck after 1hr of riding, i have the seat forward. and flipped stem over, but not been out yet... I have read that its not too good to go smaller than a 90mm stem how true this is i have no idea?

Cheers
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    It's early days so don't panic yet. I'm a tad taller than you, though have long arms and legs in relation to my torso/overall height. I ride a medium Defy and though the reach is close to that of my MTB's I too thought I was a little stretched with the 100mm stem. I considered fitting a 90mm stem, however after six months riding the bike I came to the conclusion that the bike was fine and it was me that just needed to get use to a road bike riding position.

Go for a few ride with the stem flipped and see how you get on, if you feel you need a shorter stem go down in size by 10mm increments at a time, stems are relatively cheap and easy to change. You will need a period of time to adjust to road biking, also don't forget to use all the available handle bar positions.
  • dizarch
    dizarch Posts: 152
    Hi

I'm taller than you but with the same inside leg and the same medium frame Defy 1 albeit the 2013 version.

I also had discomfort in the upper back area when I started riding it until I had a bike fit after which we shortened the stem, shifted the saddle slightly forward and adjusted my cleat position. Since then, I've ridden over 7500 miles on the same bike including 50 miles a day for 50 consecutive days and have never had another problem.

It's a great bike and I'm absolutely sure you'll love it once you make a few minor geometrical changes.

Good luck:-)
    Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050
  • Martylou
    Went out for a hour moved seat forward flipped stem over. Slightly better ,may have to try 90mm stem, as still feel stretched a little, encouraged the fact that that I do have right sized bike just a few tweaks,

I did sit on my mates cannondale synapse 54 it seemed perfect, I did do my home work the giant defy 1 had a very good write up and reviews for longer distance comfortable rides, which is what I am after, so hopefully not gone wrong here will keep persevering

Cheers
  • Martylou
    Going to change bar stem but will 10mm make all the difference from 100 to 90 ?

Cheers
  • As others have said you are probably on the right size, I am the same height as you and my first bike was a defy in a medium and had no issues. In fact you have longer legs than me so it may be you have a shorter body so you should feel the difference with a 1cm shorter stem.
  • Sumosan
    Sumosan Posts: 3
    I felt a little stretched on my Defy M/L. Found that my hands were naturally resting a little behind the hoods to be comfortable. A change to a 90mm stem solved the problem. Felt much more comfortable and slightly more responsive at the front end with no loss of stability.
  • Martylou
    I have now been riding a few months changed my stem to 90 flipped over .. still stuggling a bit with this never seems comfy riding on the hoods tried various bar positions,,, got my size slightly wrong in previous post 5"7 .5
    with a 30 inside leg.. still wondering if bike to big better off on a small defy .. like the bike fit seems problem, if there are any riders out there riding a small same height etc as me

Cheers