ZTR Olympic rims - Largest tyre?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i bought a new wheelset during the winter, but i didnt really look at the width as i was too bothered about looking for a great deal and good reviews, and since the ZTR Olympic wheelset had both i went for it. Then i realised that the rims were a bit on the thinner side when i had my first look at them when they came through the post. I may have perhaps changed my option if i knew they were as thin as they are.

The internal width is 18mm
The external width is 23.2

(website with specs of the rim)
http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/rim/220

I am going to be getting some new tyres around June/July for my summer riding, and i was thinking to try out a bit more of an aggressive tyre (something like a Maxxis Advantage?)- currently using Maxxis Aspens which are more biased for really low rolling resistance XC stuff. And im just wondering, what is the widest i should go for this rim?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My previous rims were 18mm, my current 20mm and I've run 2.25" tyres (Schwalbe) with no issues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've used the 2.25 ADvantage on 19mm rims and had no issues, it is quite tall though and I found it caused clearance issues on some Rockshox forks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I wouldn't run more than 2.4" on Olympics, but they'll be fine up to that, may come up a bit 'tall', but meh.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tyre sizes are sort of meaningless. A 2.25" Schwalbe can be bigger than a 2.5" Maxxis. You would have thought 2.5" is 2.5" but it's not.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thanks for replies. I was hoping to go 2.2" or maybe 2.3" if funds allow. The "bigger" tyres are usually more expensive (aiming for £20 a tyre max)

Yeah i know sizes can vary but they are usually give or take the same.

Im thinking about a High Roller or an Advantage.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're likely to run into issues with the rims being tough enough for the sort of riding that justifies big tyres before the tyres themselves specifically become an issue!
  • gt-arrowhead
    I ride XC with the odd downhills which have some roots, if my old school v brake rims can handle the abuse on a rigid bike, with no troubles, i have ever confidence in my Olympics.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need to go bigger than 2.25" from what you say, and you are better off with a good tyre than a wider tyre that is less good!

A bit of shopping around and I can usually pick up good used tyres for the right price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.