Rotor Cranks Corrosion

Barbarossa
Barbarossa Posts: 248
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I bought some Rotor 3DF cranks in October and have used them through the winter. They are starting to show signs of corrosion around the pedals - both cranks. I am waiting to hear what Rotor have to say. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Corrosion.jpg
DSC_0211.JPG

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wouldn't say I'm surprised - if you use lightweight alloy parts in winter then corrosion is something you have to deal with.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,766
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Wouldn't say I'm surprised - if you use lightweight alloy parts in winter then corrosion is something you have to deal with.
    What's the weight of the part got to do with this corrosion?

Its more a case of, if you don't wash the salt off, this will happen. The corrosion around the pedal threads is probably caused by the washer biting into the anodised coating, and the metals in contact being different.

The rest is where stone chips (or you shoe rubbing) has removed some anodisation. I have to say, it shouldn't be that easy to do. Perhaps Rotor anodise but only use a very thin, or no, lacquer on top of that.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Definately not a recommendation for Rotor.
    I've got a cheap FSA crankset (cost 1/5 of Rotor) which looks better after 3 winters use (only rubbing from overshoes)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Keezx wrote:
    definitely not a recommendation for Rotor.
    I've got a cheap FSA crankset (cost 1/5 of Rotor) which looks better after 3 winters use (only rubbing from overshoes)
    I agree there.. my FSA Energy has had some winter weather , ok it does get mollycoddled but definitely does not show any sign of salt attack .
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    I've ridden Shimano and FSA cranks through the winter and never had any problems. In fact the other anodised aluminium bits on the bike - derailleurs, calipers, pedals - are all fine. My question is, is this a problem with Rotor components, or have I got parts from a bad batch?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Barbarossa wrote:
    I've ridden Shimano and FSA cranks through the winter and never had any problems. In fact the other anodised aluminium bits on the bike - derailleurs, calipers, pedals - are all fine. My question is, is this a problem with Rotor components, or have I got parts from a bad batch?

Only Rotor can answer that