Easton Wheel keeps buckling

Jlewis3
Jlewis3 Posts: 20
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I have an ongoing problem with an Easton rear wheel which I thought had been resolved...

Originally I was riding with an OEM Easton wheel which kept going out of true. The wheel was sent back to Chain Reaction Cycles a few times and eventually it was replaced. They sent me a new Easton AXR rear wheel and I took it out for its first ride yesterday. About 50 miles in I noticed the wheel was slightly out of true and had to release the brake calliper quick release to allow it to run free. The ride was smooth and no major bumps in the road. I run a set of Mavic CXP22 rims on Ultegra Hubs which have remained true forever on my winter bike.

Have I just been unlucky, are the lower end Easton Wheels known to be an issue, or could it be something with the brake set-up effecting the wheel? I have ordered a set of Fulcrum Racing 3's but not sure I want to fit them if it could be a bike related issue.

Thanks
Josh

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The spokes have too little tension. You need to get them re-tensioned to the correct value. It should cost you 10-20 pounds in a decent shop. Don't go to chain shops with spotty adolescents who don't know what they do, find a good LBS who understand wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Had a pair of low end Easton wheels on a cross bike and they were rubbish. I had the radial front wheel rebuilt 2 cross and the rear wheel re-tensioned and they are now relegated to training bike duty where they appear to be holding up. As ugo says, get them re-done by someone who knows how.