Genesis Volare 931 Reynolds tubing.

hazy_day
hazy_day Posts: 84
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at this frame and just wanted thoughts/opinions. I've never ridden a steel framed road bike but I am curious about this and would appreciate input from the forum.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've got a Volare 953 and initial impressions are good. It was easy to build up once I'd got the tools to deal with press fit. Paint finish is nice but quite thick; the seat clamp had to be levered out to fit over the top of the seat tube.

The ride is smoother than I was expecting; less jarring than my aluminium frame experiences.

It's got quite a short head tube though; if the 931's the same you'll either have to love a low position or be happy to have some spacers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The 931 frameset has been dropped. Only a tawianese stainless offering now. Seem pretty good but the 60cm frame weighs 1800g so not a light weight. Still a shiney stiff steel frame if trying to weight weenie a bike is not your thing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andyoh
    andyoh Posts: 115
    My son has the stainless steel 953 Volare and he says the ride is incredibly smooth compared to his S-Works Tarmac SL4.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Get a Ritchey Road Logic instead. Lighter, cheaper and looks better.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Grill wrote:
    Get a Ritchey Road Logic instead. Lighter, cheaper and looks better.

I think the frames are about the same weight, no? Circa 1800g? And I don't know how much the 931 frame costs, but the 853 is about the same as the Road Logic on that front and is also arguably equivalent.

As far as looks are concerned I don't think there's much in it. Neither of them are going to win any art awards.

That said, you can't easily go wrong with Ritchey kit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}