Giro Empire shoes in black - anyone know of any discounts

scott_w1987
scott_w1987 Posts: 316
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Bit of a long shot, but I'm getting desperate so I thought I better give it a try.

It's getting close to good shoe weather and I've been waiting patiently for Matt black giro empire shoes to drop below £200. The orange or yellow variants can be had for as little as 150, but the cheapest I can recently find the black ones are 206. 700 had them at £180 a while back but I hesitated thinking they might get cheaper come sale time... How wrong was I?!

Anyway, if anyone knows of a 10 or 20% discount code for one of the shops that sell them for £218 that would be perfect. Thanks in advance

Comments

• minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    If you are on Quidco, cyclestore.co.uk have them for £206.99, less the 4% with quidco gets you to £197.76
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Been on sale from Evans since Xmas for 149. I got a pair and they are very nice.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/giro/empire-road-shoe-ec057845
  • scott_w1987
    Will keep quidco in mind if I don't get anything else soon... Thanks.
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Been on sale from Evans since Xmas for 149. I got a pair and they are very nice.

Unfortunately I want the black only ones - I like them too much to buy another colour and as soon as I do the black ones will come down in price!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    No help at all but the silver look stunning. I used to hate black socks but recently discovered it's actually black shoes that are horrendous.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Will keep quidco in mind if I don't get anything else soon... Thanks.
    Dowtcha wrote:

Unfortunately I want the black only ones - I like them too much to buy another colour and as soon as I do the black ones will come down in price!

Sorry, only ever noticed the price in the top right corner. I was wondering why they had black still in all sizes.
    I would hold out as they look like they have not managed to shift many in black.
  • scott_w1987
    gsk82 wrote:
    No help at all but the silver look stunning. I used to hate black socks but recently discovered it's actually black shoes that are horrendous.

I don't normally like black shoes but something about the matt with the gloss writing and heel just look good... Silver is my next option and then probably white. Current good shoes are white though and I get careless when I'm in a rush and end up marking them or scuffing them, so I wanted to give black a try...

No need to apologise Dowtcha, quite misleading and pretty annoying - I'd have bought them at £220 if I knew they weren't going to end up cheap like the other colours.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you're a size 44.... http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/30087/products/giro-empire-acc-road-shoe-matt-black-gloss-black.aspx

I bought my Giro Republic shoes from there in person, but can't comment on their online service.

Lace up shoes are a revelation, I bought the Republic for commuting in, but I'm seriously considering buying the Empire to replace my Factors which are a few years old.
  • scott_w1987
    Good find - I'm a 45 unfortunately :cry:
  • scott_w1987
    Bumping this thread in case anyone knows of any bargain black on black pairs and also to post this link to cheap yellow and black ones...

Providing Start cycles are genuine, this is a seriously good price! Really tempted by them but I'd still prefer the black ones...

http://startcycles.co.uk/giro-empire-ac ... mpb94.html
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Sigma Sports were clearing a load of Giro Empires - not sure if they have your colour or size but check the website for details.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The black with orange or yellow logo and heels are 150 in Evans and 160 in Sigma, they are 2014. All the others are over 200 because they are 2015.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Evans have them for £150 atm http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gir ... e-ec057845
    lovely looking shoes i think i'll buy a pair when my factors wear out.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • scott_w1987
    The black with orange or yellow logo and heels are 150 in Evans and 160 in Sigma, they are 2014. All the others are over 200 because they are 2015.

I thought they were all 2015 models so that makes more sense, but the black ones were £180 at 700 a while back and I hesitated and missed out.
  • gotwood25
    gotwood25 Posts: 314
    Bumping this thread in case anyone knows of any bargain black on black pairs and also to post this link to cheap yellow and black ones...

Providing Start cycles are genuine, this is a seriously good price! Really tempted by them but I'd still prefer the black ones...

I got mine from Start for that price after purchasing from Evans (took them back as hadn't been worn). I then get this through which is a further 10% off at Start (Enter Code: CYCLES10) bringing the price down to £108!
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    Wish I'd seen that before I set off this morning to Newcastle! Just bought a pair of 45's. In the shop they are still marked up @ £207.
  • gotwood25
    crvfr wrote:
    Wish I'd seen that before I set off this morning to Newcastle! Just bought a pair of 45's. In the shop they are still marked up @ £207.

Speak to Paddy in the shop and he will happily give you them at the advertised web price. I got mine in the shop as well.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i love my empires, those silver ones are stunning. i really really really dont need ANOTHER pair of shoes
  • gotwood25
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i love my empires, those silver ones are stunning. i really really really dont need ANOTHER pair of shoes

At £109 you can't afford NOT to get another pair!
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    gotwood25 wrote:
    crvfr wrote:

Speak to Paddy in the shop and he will happily give you them at the advertised web price. I got mine in the shop as well.

Result - they agreed to give me the extra £12 discount - don't feel quite as guilty about buying some shoes I don't need now!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gotwood25 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

At £109 you can't afford NOT to get another pair!
    where are the silver ones £109?!?
  • gotwood25
    Nowhere, only the black fluro/orange ones at that price.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    gotwood25 wrote:

I got mine from Start for that price after purchasing from Evans (took them back as hadn't been worn). I then get this through which is a further 10% off at Start (Enter Code: CYCLES10) bringing the price down to £108!

Thanks gotwood25 & scott_w1987 you saved me £52! I owe you both a drink :D
  • scott_w1987
    No problem!

Silver for 176 - Can't wait any longer for the black on black ones, so I've just bought the silver. Hopefully Retto are ok...

http://www.retto.co.uk/cycling/det/shoe ... ilver.aspx
  • gotwood25
    Wore mine for the first time yesterday and they really are awesome, so comfortable, akin to bowling shoes (which I think you will all agree are the comfiest shoes known to man) for levels of comfort.

Also my first dealings with a carbon sole and can't believe the difference that makes, I thought my Mavic Galibiers were half decent but I may as well have been riding in flip flops!

And probably the most important thing, they look boss :-)
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    [quote="gotwood25"

And probably the most important thing, they look boss :-)[/quote]

Amen!