Rear derailleur bent? Or chain to loose..?

DFM1404
DFM1404 Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hello,

just finished my pre season maintenance for the first time and greased every bearing, washed the frame and changed the cassette + chain. I thought the most difficult part of the maintenance where the bb30 bearings but now I have a stupid other problem :roll: I have a FSA Gossamer Triple and the chain doesn't have any tension on the inner ring. The chain I use is the KMC X10SL and I attached the missing links on it. Does anybody know what the F is going on?

aaad78b3b1e1148e9fbdb9c129880921.png

1acefc923f50a3e333a8fd2fb7cc1b48.png

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Have you fitted a new chain? Just reread it and yes you did fit a new chain..
    If so did you resize it? or just put it straight on
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • DFM1404
    On the KMC site it says that the chain is 114 links. A triple/double crank uses a 114 link chain ? So I installed the missing links and put it straight on..

So this isnt a rear derri problem? Because it makes weird noises when the chain is on the inner ring. But I think that I because of the tension problem :mrgreen: U cant see any bend? I had a crash last week
  • camerauk
    DFM1404 wrote:
    On the KMC site it says that the chain is 114 links. A triple/double crank uses a 114 link chain ? So I installed the missing links and put it straight on..

So this isnt a rear derri problem? Because it makes weird noises when the chain is on the inner ring. But I think that I because of the tension problem :mrgreen: U cant see any bend? I had a crash last week

You need to resize your chain you can count the links from your old chain
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    edited March 2015
    Is it a 50/39/30 and what size is the cassette? Download a copy of the Shimano General Operations PDF DM-GN0001-10.pdf from here http://si.shimano.com/ go to the bottom of page 16, tells you how to set up a triple road chain length depending on your largest rear sprocket.

Just noticed you are running SRAM https://www.sram.com/service/sram/3,381,434
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Your chain is far too long. Very rarely is the chain the right length out of the packet!

See here for how to set your chain length before fitting, or, as camerauk says, count the links from your old chain and make sure they're the same.

You'll need a chain breaker tool if you don't already have one.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DFM1404
    DJ58 wrote:
    Is it a 50/39/30 and what size is the cassette? Download a copy of the Shimano General Operations PDF DM-GN0001-10.pdf from here http://si.shimano.com/ go to the bottom of page 16, tells you how to set up a triple road chain length depending on your largest rear sprocket.
    52/39/30

About the cassette I'm not sure. I thought the 12-25T

Will go to the LBS. They will do it for free I guess. Don't have a chain breaker tool yet.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    DFM1404 wrote:

Will go to the LBS. They will do it for free I guess. Don't have a chain breaker tool yet.

I would recommend buying a chain tool and carrying it on every ride, mine saved me from a walk home this week.

Geoff
  • camerauk
    As Geoff said its worth having a chain tool and carrying it with you along with a missing link on rides, you can get them built into a multitool or separate
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Agree with the above, a chain tool is one of the most useful tools to have in your tool box, and always carry it with you when on your bike. Spare quick links are useful too. viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13017466
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Is DFM1404 winding us up? If you are smart enough to ride a bike and put a post on this forum you just have to be smart enough to realise that you need to shorten the chain you have just fitted. If he cant the chances of him using a chain tool are remote to say the least.
    If it wasn't for the fact that it looks like a half decent bike I would think this was Manc33 in disguise trying to start another 14 page thread on chain length and chain tools!
  • DFM1404
    Lol lesfirth. Wtf. It is my first year of driving a road bike. Didn't knew the chain has to be shorten. Thats why I asked. I did the greasing of all the bearings by myself, changed the cassette, lubed all the pivots etc. One little mistake with the chain. Thats all.

Shortened the chain and everything is ok right now. :) Ready to ride my CAAD10 again
  • DFM1404
    Oops sorry. One other question. Everything was perfect last Sunday, the first time I went for a ride after I shortened the chain, but after I cleaned the chain with a clean cloth and after a few people 'felled' against my bike in the train I think there is something wrong. When I drive and shift the cassette I hear much more sound then before and I feel some sort of resistance while spinning the crank during shifting. Maybe the chain is to dry and I need to apply more lube? Because I cleaned it.

Or maybe this is normal and I don't think straight because of the people who are standing near my derailleur ;)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    DFM1404 wrote:
    Oops sorry. One other question. Everything was perfect last Sunday, the first time I went for a ride after I shortened the chain, but after I cleaned the chain with a clean cloth and after a few people 'felled' against my bike in the train I think there is something wrong. When I drive and shift the cassette I hear much more sound then before and I feel some sort of resistance while spinning the crank during shifting. Maybe the chain is to dry and I need to apply more lube? Because I cleaned it.

Or maybe this is normal and I don't think straight because of the people who are standing near my derailleur ;)
    If noisy when shifting it could just be that the gears need indexing to ensure the shift is smooth.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    if you cleaned the chain using a chain cleaner, and especially if you used water, you must relube. At the very least it will be dry, but most likely it will be rusting as I write this.