Converting road chainsets for fixie

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
I was hoping there are a few of you that have done this and could offer some advice.

The bottom bracket on my fixie is well and truly dead and given my hatred for internel BBs I was thinking about going external and having a nice chainset upgrade as well.

I have seen that On-One offer a decent looking external BB chainset (I cant justify omniums), the other option for me is to get a ring from velo-solo and use the FSA gossamer currently on my winter bike.

Question is how do I make sure the chain-line is right and how well do external BBs work with a fixie? I wonder if they die quickly given the stress the drive-chain is under.
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the drive line should not be under any more stress.
    how adjustable is your rear cog position?

anything can be done if you know what you have and what you are wanting to get to.

My fixed has external bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    TBH the beauty of internal BBs is that they allow you to adjust the chainline by selecting a longer axle whereas external BBs and chainsets have a fixed q factor.

If you are running fixed then I assume your rear sprocket can't be moved and so your only options are whether you mount the chainring on the inner or outer of your crankset (some will allow you to mount the ring on either side of the spider on the outer setting).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I am using a standard track rear hub so I am limited with adjustment that end. Ideally it would all have to be done at the chainset.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Asprilla wrote:
    TBH the beauty of internal BBs is that they allow you to adjust the chainline by selecting a longer axle whereas external BBs and chainsets have a fixed q factor.
    What has q-factor got to do with chainline? As it happens they do indeed give a fixed chainline as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.