Bike advice

CBALL81
CBALL81 Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi would appreciate people opinions here.

Getting back into cycling. used to cycle a lot a number of years a go. I have an alu Bianchi which needs a complete strip down and replace many components. If advice is stay with this bike or cheap bike for practice im not keen. I learnt cycling skills before. ideally don't want to do this as I want to buy a custom bike for life + disc brake bike. However I need to get cracking to start cycling again as have the 100m London ride in Aug. Having a bike to train on asap is part of this choice. I do a lot of sport now just not cycling.

So ive been waiting for disc brake bikes to launch this year. Considered carbon bikes. lots around and can get great value Rose bikes with Di2 etc £2.3k. Nothing wrong with these or the cannondales I considered but I just want something I can keep forever and more unique. Please tell me if i'm wrong.

So that means a metal bike. The options I have are:
1. Mason bikes. Coming out March. Great frame made from Columbus with hand built wheels. I can buy frame and wheels and get components online for a di2 ~ £3.5k ish
2. Enigma Evoke - Can get an ultegra bike w/ hand built wheels £3.5k end of March/beg April delivery
3. Nerve Bike - Essentially same as an Evoke but hand built UK to my exact dimensions and buy as a frame + Nerve fork. Then buy components on line Di2 etc + hand built wheels etc for £3.5k but the wait time is 90 days

If I go for options 1 or 2 I don't need to renovate my Bianchi estimate £200 for strip down and parts minimum

What would you do? Is Di2 worth it for the wait?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I reckon that if your aim is to buy a bike to last forever then you need to be a bit more considered before buying.

Why not try to list out what is needed to fix up the old bike and then make a decision on fix/buy cheapo alternative? There cannot be that much wrong with your current bike that eBay and some TLC cannot sort out. Failing that, one can snap up some good 2nd hand buys for £300 (my Spesh 2011 Allez with an E5 frame and Tiagra/Ultegra 6500 cost a total of about £300) so no excuse not to get something sorted quickly and get out riding.

Then, once you have got back into it, got some idea of the current market and (more importantly) what you now want from a bike then you can get something more lovely and flog your current/ebay steed or relegate it to winter usage.