Reach - SHimano vs Campag etc

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking at Shimano Ultegra 11 speed shifters and comparing them to the Campag 10 speed I've been using the Ultegra appear to increase reach by quite a bit.

Anyone used both or got an opinion on whether it might be an issue with choosing the right bars and stem - can different shifters increase reach compared to others - or do they work out pretty much the same ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pretty much the same in my experience.

Question is, why are you mixing Shimano/Campag?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I am not sure he is mixing, just looking at the differences.

There are differences in shape between all the brands of shifters. I have Tiagra on one bike, and Force on another, and there is a significant difference.

Really it is all about getting the combination of shifter, bar & stem that suit you.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Ultegra can also be adjusted for reach but certain bar/lever combinations work better than others in terms of reach
    M.Rushton
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mrushton wrote:
    Ultegra can also be adjusted for reach but certain bar/lever combinations work better than others in terms of reach

But that kind of reach adjustment only brings the levers a bit closer to the bars. Think the OP is talking about the size / shape of the hoods which you can't do anything about.
    I've only ever ridden Shimano but looking at the Campag kit at bike shows / in shops I think the shifters look smaller and somehow sexier.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    Yes I mean the shape of the hoods, visually they look longer than my old campag 10 . Basically I bought a new bike with Ultegra, the reach of the bike is actually slightly shorter than the last one (apparently), the stem is the same, I've stuck the same post on, yet the reach just feels a bit longer. Could be the reach of the bars I suppose just wondered if the hoods/shifters added to the reach or maybe it's just a case of getting used to it feeling different.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    cattytown wrote:
    There are differences in shape between all the brands of shifters. I have Tiagra on one bike, and Force on another, and there is a significant difference.

Really it is all about getting the combination of shifter, bar & stem that suit you.

Completely agree. I bought some 105 shifters as an upgrade to Tiagra. After a couple of weeks, I had to switch them back as I simply couldnt get on with the shape of the 105 hoods...
    There is no secret ingredient...