Cable on top of chain stay

histr0n
histr0n Posts: 3
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi, I've just bought a new bike. The Di2 cable comes out of the top of the chain stay and connects to the rear derailleur, but due to it's position I'm worried that in some gears it could get damaged by chain slap (I've attached a couple of pictures showing the cable directly underneath the chain).

How is best to protect the cable at the point it comes out of the chain? Or am I worrying over nothing? Thanks!

Photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11239020 ... v-nstLLwAE

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    histr0n wrote:
    Hi, I've just bought a new bike. The Di2 cable comes out of the top of the chain stay and connects to the rear derailleur, but due to it's position I'm worried that in some gears it could get damaged by chain slap (I've attached a couple of pictures showing the cable directly underneath the chain).

How is best to protect the cable at the point it comes out of the chain? Or am I worrying over nothing? Thanks!

Photos:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11239020 ... v-nstLLwAE

I think you'd be very unlucky for chain slap to damage the cable. Particularly as it looks as though it has been designed to avoid such a rare occurrence, through alignment and positioning.

Also, chain slap tends to happen further towards the BB - there isn't much slack in the chain so close to the cassette.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • You could perhaps put your mind at ease by investing in a bright green Lizard Skins chainstay protector and putting that on for a few rides. If the bright green turns dark with grease from the chain, you know the chain is probably going to hit the cable without the protector.
  • histr0n
    histr0n Posts: 3
    Thanks for your advice guys. I was thinking of just wrapping a section of old inner tube around the base of the cable as a precaution.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Yes i would try that or use helicopter tape,or 3 or 4 wraps of electrical tape.
  • I'm sure it will be fine.....although that is the most ridiculous design oversight for Di2 :|
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I cannot see that causing any sort of problem.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I'm sure it will be fine.....although that is the most ridiculous design oversight for Di2 :|

Blame the frame, not Shimano! :wink:

On another note, I can't see the chain slapping the top of the chainstay that close to the rear dropout. Especially as the cable entry point looks to be slightly recessed.
  • DKay wrote:
    I'm sure it will be fine.....although that is the most ridiculous design oversight for Di2 :|

On another note, I can't see the chain slapping the top of the chainstay that close to the rear dropout. Especially as the cable entry point looks to be slightly recessed.

Oh, I don't blame Shimano. I mean it's an oversight of the frame manufacturers for Di2 integration.

I just think it's poor design more from point of view when you remove your wheel and the chain sags onto erm....the chainstay :roll:
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Im guessing the frame was originally designed for normal cables. So what was already there is used for Di2. Instead of making another hole in the frame.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DKay wrote:

Oh, I don't blame Shimano. I mean it's an oversight of the frame manufacturers for Di2 integration.

Don't worry, I know exactly what you meant, hence the smiley. It was a nod to all of the people who diss Di2 without having actually used it.