Pedal thread confusion

caradale
caradale Posts: 34
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi all I posted a bit ago about about the stripped thread on my cranks, I bit the bullet and treated myself to a shiny new crankset and BB. All fitted to the bike with no problems but my pedals wont go on the new cranks. The pedals are Keo easys and are about six years old and screw onto the new cranks backwards fine !!
As I don`t want to ride around backwards in a circus wearing a silly hat and red nose this isn`t much good to me
Are there or were there different standards of thread direction, if so looks like I need new pedals as well ?
Any help greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    The right hand pedal will only go into the right hand crank, from either side. Likewise the left will only fit the left. If the pedal will go in from the back of the crank it will go in from the front. If it doesn't I would say the thread in the crank has been damaged.
    Or do you mean you can put the left pedal in the right crank? That would be very odd. There are not different standards of thread direction.
  • caradale
    caradale Posts: 34
    thanks guys, sorted, turns out that the left hand axle was in the right hand pedal body. swopped round now and pedals facing in the right direction.
    I remember about eighteen months ago stripping the pedals down and servicing them. looks like I ballsed up when I put them back together wrong then as a result knackered the crank threads when I put them back on the bike,,,,,,that was a expensive mistake
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A good rule for us DIY mechanics is to only disassemble / clean / re-assemble ONE piece at a time.

If you feel compelled to do several pieces at the same time, then use large plastic storage bags or containers to keep all the parts from 1 unit together (and separate from other units).

If there are multiple pieces that all need to be assembled in a specific pattern, DON'T trust your memory - take the time to draw a detailed picture as you disassemble the unit.

It's also a good idea to keep the packaging from parts that identifies their part number, sizes, etc. -- for the next time you need to get one.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    JayKosta wrote:
    If there are multiple pieces that all need to be assembled in a specific pattern, DON'T trust your memory - take the time to draw a detailed picture as you disassemble the unit.
    ...or use the camera on your smartphone.

A normal camera is also a suitable option.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me-109 wrote:
    JayKosta wrote:
    ...or use the camera on your smartphone.

A normal camera is also a suitable option.

I have dozens of photos I've inadvertently downloaded from the camera to the pc. Bits of car during disassembly, close ups of electrical wiring around the house, bits of bike - some of which I no longer own, barcodes from pc components, meter readings from when the boys were leaving student accommodation etc etc.

Always handy to have a picture to refer to...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Best fun is if you buy a classic car in bits, as someone else has had the idea of stripping and rebuilding it but run out of enthusiasm part way through.

A friend bought a Dolly Sprint like this, a rolling shell stuffed full of cardboard boxes - if lucky, each box only contained engine parts, or only gearbox parts, etc.
    But of course it'll never work that way, some bits will be in the wrong box, some bits missing entirely.

My first ever car was a Toledo so I was scratching my head trying to help him identify stuff, either to identify a part or find the missing part in a different box...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Best fun is if you buy a classic car in bits, as someone else has had the idea of stripping and rebuilding it but run out of enthusiasm part way through.

A friend bought a Dolly Sprint like this, a rolling shell stuffed full of cardboard boxes - if lucky, each box only contained engine parts, or only gearbox parts, etc.
    But of course it'll never work that way, some bits will be in the wrong box, some bits missing entirely.

My first ever car was a Toledo so I was scratching my head trying to help him identify stuff, either to identify a part or find the missing part in a different box...

This is now together and running :D

DSC04137.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If you've had a car in bits (and back) then a bike is like a 50-piece jigsaw.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/