Which MTB under £450? My first MTB.

jfog#1234
jfog#1234 Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am planning to start MTB'ing this year and am researching what to buy for my first bike. My budget is currently around £400.

I plan to start on the Cannock Chase trails as they are local, but aim to get into Snowdonia, Brecon etc occasionally as well, as time permits.

I'm 6ft average to light build, have been road riding for several years (spin in winter (scared of the dark), ride out the rest of the year).

Initial research leads me to a hard tail, and it looks like a quality hydraulic front fork is the thing to look out for. I wouldn't know the difference between a hydraulic and a spring fork though.

So, with all that in mind, where do I start and what recommendations can you offer me that I should be looking at.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hi and welcome!

This should really have posted in Buying advice....have a look in that forum at the sub £500 sticky thread.

Go to are
    Carrera Kraken (Halfords)
    Calibre two.two (Go outdoors)
    Rockrider 520 (Decathlon)
    Voodoo Bantu (Halfords)

The 2 Halfords bikes are slightly dearer and offer a better bike at the £400 breakpoint.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Welcome!
    Nice to see a few more Cannock locals!

Agree with what Rookie posted above - Have a look at Halfords Carrera & Voodoo.
    If you sign up to British Cycling you can get 10% off in Halfords (inc. sales prices).
    They also have flash 10% off sales too - so if you reserve online and pay in store you can use the British Cycling discount on top.

The Carrera and Voodoo are great value at the prices compared to the 'big name' offerings around the same budget.

I've got a Carrera Fury which with discounts, sales prices and cash back etc. I managed to get for under £400 last year (original price of £600) - great spec for the price.