Which Helmet?!?!?!

silveralex44
silveralex44 Posts: 20
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
HI, I'm getting one of these three helmets i could do with some constructive comments please:

Bell Super 2014 @ £59
Bluegrass Goldeneyes 2015 @ £64
Ixs Trail RS 2015 @ £63

Many thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which one fits best? That is the single most important consideration.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Rookie wrote:

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

I hate agreeing but he is right
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Yes, the one that fits best, first and foremost.

But, given that, the Bell. Noticeably better constructed than the other two. Of course, that doesn't necessarily translate into better protection, but it's a good starting point. If the fit is right I can see no reason to pay more for either of the others.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I hate agreeing but he is right

No shite. Anything for the argument.
  • Yes, obviously they all fit perfectly comfortably. I was hoping for some helpful advice and/or comments based on actual experiences, for example: "I've got the bell and it's good but quite hot" or, "I've got the RS and it's great apart from the low visor" etc. I apologise profusely if I've posted this in the wrong thread??
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes, obviously they all fit perfectly comfortably. I was hoping for some helpful advice and/or comments based on actual experiences, for example: "I've got the bell and it's good but quite hot" or, "I've got the RS and it's great apart from the low visor" etc. I apologise profusely if I've posted this in the wrong thread??

Which is a bit of a giveaway that you haven't actually tried them all. Because unless they are all the same shell shape and size or you have a head that morphs shape to suit they WILL feel different and at least one of them would have stood out as much more comfortable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I was hoping for some helpful advice and/or comments based on actual experiences
    In that sense I have a Super that is about a year old

It's thick - there's a lot of helmet between your head and the outside world
    Ventilation is satisfactory - too hot for hot summer days, too breezy for the depths of winter
    Construction and materials are good but it's a little rough on the edges like it's hand-finished
    High quality lining
    Nothing has broken or worn out
    The temple protection could be a problem with some glasses but I've not had any issues
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    HI, I'm getting one of these three helmets i could do with some constructive comments please:

Bell Super 2014 @ £59
    Bluegrass Goldeneyes 2015 @ £64
    Ixs Trail RS 2015 @ £63

Many thanks.

ixs has more trail cred :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bluegrass Goldeneyes sounds like a bad Disney character
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bell helmets have a good reputation for being good solid decent value products, but I haven't actually tried any of the three. Also as one persons airy is another persons sweaty, comments are only valuable as a comparison, so unless someone has ridden all three they need to be taken under advisement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks to those of you who gave a helpful comment. I've narrowed it down to the ixs or the bell... I wonder which will be cooler, i don't like a sweaty head. Both very comfortable.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've got the Bell and a 661 Recon and I don't find the bell any more sweaty than the 661. The Bell has some vents under the peak which channel air and you can feel those working when you get a move on.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Ixs trail rs is good, really well vented, so nice and cool in the summer, also spare pads are easy to get from crc, cant fault mine, it's been really comfortable. I would buy another without hesitation.
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    Ixs trail rs is good, really well vented, so nice and cool in the summer, also spare pads are easy to get from crc, cant fault mine, it's been really comfortable. I would buy another without hesitation.
    Exactly what I was after... Ordered. Many thanks.
  • Update - I've used the IXS Trail RS on several occasions now, including a long day at Llandegla last week. I'm pleased to say i definitely chose the right Helmet for me. The ixs is so well ventilated for an Enduro style lid, and the comfort is out of this world! I haven't found the visor inhibits my forward view of the trail at all (a few reviews mention that issue.

Really pleased, i certainly recommend it.