Calling any London cyclists

BR_Gregor
BR_Gregor Posts: 222
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
London cyclist? I'm interviewing the Commissioner for Cycling in London next week, Andrew Gilligan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gilligan). Is there anything you'd like me to ask him in specific reference to cycling in the capital?

Maybe about the latest cycling superhighways? The cutting down of rad traffic injuries? Lorries v bikes and traffic at roundabouts?

If there's something you want to grill him on, list it here and I'll put it to him.
Cheers.
Communities and On Your Bike Editor, BikeRadar

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not a London cyclist, although this forum is decidedly London centric so no doubt you'll get a few along soon!

Interviewing for?????

The one question I would ask is about the questionable design of some of the existing super cycleways especially at roundabouts which have seen a number of accidents (some fatal) due to the fact that the cycleway routes the cyclist round the outside of traffic exiting creating dangerous crossing features, how on earth did that ever make it into 'concrete', and what is being done to prevent such poor planning of ANY feature in the future.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BR_Gregor
    For BikeRadar, The_Rookie. To go in the commuting section.

Thanks for that. Will ask. Cheers.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You should drop this into Commuting Chat, you'll garner much more interest in there.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • BR_Gregor
    Good idea, Kieran. Thanks. Have moved the thread over to Community Chat just in case there are any other questions anybody else wants to be asked.

Cheers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    As per my post in the other forum.

With regard to the cycling superhighway proposals, have they taken into account that, unlike vehicular traffic, there are significant speed differences between users, and so necessary space needs to be created for passing?

Though in principal segregation makes a lot of sense, if the segregated cycle section cannot handle cyclists side by side heading both ways, the faster cyclists will continue to use the vehicular road infrastructure, especially given they have similar speeds to motor vehicles in a lot of central London. I can't imagine that ending in a civil way.

This is particularly pertinent in London where (anecdotally from what I see at the traffic lights every day) a significant proportion of cyclists are of the fast-lycra kind, who will follow the path of least traffic resistance.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Why do so many cycle lanes have limited hours that end at 7pm, slap bang in the middle of the evening rush hour? CS8 is one example, but there are many others. If it's worth having a separate marked lane for cyclists, why does that rationale not apply between, say, 7 and 8pm?

The cynic in me wonders whether the people who create these policies all knock off at 5pm on the dot, and just haven't realised that not everyone does the same thing. (You don't have to ask that bit!)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What's he going to do about tipper trucks? The number of incidents involving them is beyond depressing. Ask if there are any genuine moves to:

i. ban them
    ii.improve design (re visibility, pedestrian and cyclist protection etc)
    iii. prevent employers paying per load (which incentivises drivers to go as fast as possible)
    iv. sanction employers who operate illegal vehicles
    v. sanction drivers and employers where drivers are not properly qualified

etc.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    My question isn't about the roads;

What action is City Hall able to implement that would free up storage in public areas like stations e.g a monthly clear out of abandoned bikes?

As there are legals around removing property without notice and a reclaim process I suggest clear signs that state something like "All bikes left overnight on the last Sunday of the month will be disposed of" so it becomes a rolling right to clear out.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hi there - if you could ask this - it would be much appreciated.

"There is a move to create more cycle lanes (which, on balance I am in favour of - although with reservations). However, what is being done to ensure that existing provision is a) fit for purpose; and b) maintained and kept in a fit for purpose condition.

My two examples would be a) the Cycle Path heading from Hammersmith to Barnes over Hammersmith Bridge. It just runs out, short of a pedestrian crossing with no means of getting on the road other than dismounting and you are barred from using the bus lane; and b) the cycle lane besides the A4 which should be fantastic, but is badly cracked, has roots going through it, bushes growing over the path, there is a temporary fenced off area that has been there for 3 months, I've never seen it swept and you have to stop for every side road.

When the existing provision is so clearly inadequate - why are we trying to introduce new lanes?"

Thanks very much
  • Perhaps you could ask him, only very slightly tongue in cheek, whether the people who come up with these urban cycling infrastructure plans actually ride their bikes to and from work, in the rush hour, every day, along they routes that they change.

And if they do, whether they ride Bromptons or sit up and beg hybrids, wear trouser clips and high viz over their suits, have helmets with rear view mirrors attached, do arm signals with a horizontal straight arm, and only ride in when the weather is fine because on rainy days there is a perfectly good train/bus service.

Because I get the feeling that the planners are either non cyclists or fall into that group.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Perhaps you could ask him, only very slightly tongue in cheek, whether the people who come up with these urban cycling infrastructure plans actually ride their bikes to and from work, in the rush hour, every day, along they routes that they change.

And if they do, whether they ride Bromptons or sit up and beg hybrids, wear trouser clips and high viz over their suits, have helmets with rear view mirrors attached, do arm signals with a horizontal straight arm, and only ride in when the weather is fine because on rainy days there is a perfectly good train/bus service.

Because I get the feeling that the planners are either non cyclists or fall into that group.

In all fairness, I'd imagine being an urban planner makes one more appropriate to plan and design urban infrastructure than some dude who happens to ride a bike in the same way you do...
  • redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    Question 1: How do you propose to change driver's attitude to cyclists, so that they recognize a rider as a valid road user and in doing so extend the same courtesy to us as the do cars etc.

Question 2: does he have any idea just how uncomfortable and dangerous a poor road surface can be to someone riding a non suspended bike ie not a mountain bike but a road bike on skinny wheels.
  • BR_Gregor
    Thanks guys. Noted. Let's see what he has to say.
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    TGOTB wrote:
    Why do so many cycle lanes have limited hours that end at 7pm, slap bang in the middle of the evening rush hour? CS8 is one example, but there are many others. If it's worth having a separate marked lane for cyclists, why does that rationale not apply between, say, 7 and 8pm?

This - absolutely this. Rarely do I benefit from an exclusive bus/cycle lane on the ride home. Drivers suddenly realising it is 7.10pm and swerving into the bus/cycle lane can be a real hazard. As an example, this is an issue on CS7 from Elephant & Castle all the way to Clapham North.

Extending the time on these to 8pm (at least) should be an easy win (for both buses and cyclists).

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Medders wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

This - absolutely this. Rarely do I benefit from an exclusive bus/cycle lane on the ride home. Drivers suddenly realising it is 7.10pm and swerving into the bus/cycle lane can be a real hazard. As an example, this is an issue on CS7 from Elephant & Castle all the way to Clapham North.

Extending the time on these to 8pm (at least) should be an easy win (for both buses and cyclists).

Amen to that. It's still very busy at 7pm. 8pm would make a big difference.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Why do they insist on painting the Cycle Super Highways with 'slippery when wet' pain?

CSH's, are extremely slippery in places when they are wet.

Thanks
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2015
    cjcp wrote:
    Medders wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Indeed. Not just cars using the bus lane to drive in, but also the CS7 in Tooting suddenly becomes a car park after 7pm.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Have they ever studied why tipper trucks are disproportionately involved in fatalities?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    1) Why is there zero consideration of cyclists safety during the upgrades of CS2, with narrow lanes for miles. Would it not be better to alter say 200m sections rather than dig up the entire 2-3 miles all at once?

2) have the traffic light sequences on CS2 been altered to slow everything down to a crawl, so that everything appears faster when the upgrades are complete, despite likely being slower than originally before the changes?

3) Why do bus lanes on CS2 end at left hand turns allowing cars to dive in and try to undertake at speed the traffic going straight before the bus lane remerges. Why not ban all traffic other than left turning.

4) What does he thing of the composition of the TFL board and the recent outbursts of Brian Cooke against cyclists on twitter.

5) Does he think bus companies need to educate their drivers away from "everyone should give way to buses who have automatic right of way" and towards better standards of driving around vulnerable road users.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    What is the fascination with all the buildouts, traffic islands and road clutter? Why do we have to take roads that are wide enough for everyone to coexist and create dangerous pinch points? Traffic calming measures do nothing to deter chav nutjobs or posh clueless mums in chelsea tractors. If the intention is to slow traffic then perhaps it would be better to set a speed limit and make sure the police enforce it.
  • Perhaps you could ask him, only very slightly tongue in cheek, whether the people who come up with these urban cycling infrastructure plans actually ride their bikes to and from work, in the rush hour, every day, along they routes that they change.

In all fairness, I'd imagine being an urban planner makes one more appropriate to plan and design urban infrastructure than some dude who happens to ride a bike in the same way you do...

Hmm. But I don't think either end of the spectrum should have a lock on the planning and designing. Whereas at the moment one end - the end I've stereotyped - does, and appears to me to exercise their function in a somewhat blinkered and self-centred way.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    -Why have two bus stops within 200yards of each other, have one and save the overtaking/stopping. Streatham high street, and various other areas in South London have this ridiculous scenario.
    -Why paint the cycle highway in slippery blue paint, giving you less of a chance than stopping safely than if it were just plain tarmac.
    -Why do bus drivers feel the urge to let go of the brake and creep, before actually looking in their mirrors?
    -When is someone going to lean on the train operators regarding their cycle policies?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Medders wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

How would you know? :lol:
  • - Why does operation safeways have zero presence in areas of south London which have truly dreadful driving standards, i.e. Brixton, Streatham, Tooting, Mitcham?
    - Does he support the withdrawing of funds from Mini Holland projects such as Kingston if they don't wish to install high quality cycle infrastructure with the cash?
    - Why do complaints about bus drivers never go anywhere appart from the same cut and paste answer every time pretty much about some waffle regarding training?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • BR_Gregor
    Got some good answers from Andrew on these, guys. Many thanks. Will write them up and publish on the main site, and I'll add a link here so you know when it's up and what he said. Cheers.
  • BR_Gregor
    This is now up on the main site, guys: http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear ... ner-43881/

He answered quite a few questions and with some reasonably honest answers in some cases! I think I asked him everything but apologies if I missed yours. Grouped a few questions together as they covered the same subjects.

Hope that proves useful for you. Cheers.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    A very good article and he does seem like an open an honest guy (or just a good politician)

He needs to cycle up Priory Lane if he thinks motorists will not take revenge for cyclists not using the cycle path
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    A very good article and he does seem like an open an honest guy (or just a good politician)

Not impressed he doesn't know the operating hours of a large proportion of his own allegedly-flagship cycle superhighways.
    From TGOTB/Medders: Why do so many cycle lanes have limited hours that end at 7pm, slap bang in the middle of the rush hour?

AG: I think we’re talking about bus lanes here. There are a handful of cycle lanes that are part time but most aren’t.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    From Greg66 Tri v2.0: Perhaps you could ask Andrew, only slightly tongue in cheek, whether the people who come up with these urban cycling infrastructure plans actually ride their bikes to and from work, in the rush hour, every day along the routes they change?

AG: Well actually, you can tell from some of the facilities they’ve produced that they've never rode a bike in their lives. But I ride a bike [100 commuter miles a week], the mayor rides a bike, some of the people involved in the TfL also ride bikes and we look at every design from the point of view of a cyclist. [It] seems an absurd thing to say that it wasn’t done in the past – it wasn’t – but it’s being done now.

Absurd doesn't begin to cover it.
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers Gregor.

4m each way?

S'ok I guess. Let's hope there's some partitioning, otherwise we'll see some nasty head on collisions.