Track Days/Driving Experience

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
Are these any good?

It's my brother's 30th and I don't fancy getting him another tie or engraved cufflinks. He's a tiny bit of an adrenaline junkie and (although we all strongly disagree) rates himself as a great driver. I think he drives too fast (erratic fast, not just generally cruising fast) and generally makes his passengers lives a misery.

Anyway, I think if I send him on an advanced driving course he may take it the wrong way, but I reckon he'd absolutely love the chance to thrash a Ferrari/Lambo/Aston etc round a track. Given it's his 30th I'd rather not just do a 1 hour job, but have a full weekend so he can get used to it and really get the most out of it rather than it all be over in the blink of an eye. The only downside is that he isn't really interested in cars per se, just likes to drive fast.

Has anyone done one and was it actually worth it? They aren't cheap and I imagine to send him off for the while weekend will cost a bit, but I reckon he would love it. Either that or gokarting! haha

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Not done it like that, but I've done track days in my own cars and they area right laugh. Doesn't even have to be a fast car, just handle well. Three of us bought an old Lancia and just used it for track days, we were passing TVRs because we weren't slowing down for corners.
    I would think it would be great fun the way you suggest, but possibly somewhat sanitised as you have someone with you. I'm sure Vtech will be along with more experience of that side of things.
    Go karting at an outdoor track is great fun and not to be underestimated. Somewhere like Buckmore Park though, not a poxy little indoor circuit.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Depends if you want to remortgage your house or not.

The creme de la creme of track days is Palmersport down at Bedford. But you are talking £700/800 for the day.

I've done a selection of Red Letter/Tangerine days over the years and all are 'ok'. They are pretty tame and tend to try to make the customer feel like a hero, so It would be worth (for you and his future passengers) making sure he has the passenger lap at the end just to show him that he's actually probably pretty crap... ;)

A rally day is probably the best value. London Rally School (Biecster....) is pretty good and offers experiences all the way up to professional tuition. Good bunch of guys, decent value.

Karting will be your cheapest bet and always enjoyable. If you want to be mean, enroll him for a round of 'Club100' (if you can get a space) and he'll be well out of his depth, so you can laugh at him when he is 3s off the pace. ;)

On a serious note though, messing around in cars when you have a passenger is lousy. He needs knocking down a peg.
  • Anonymous
    He (used to) drives a defender 90 so hardly fast. Just doesn't give the poor passengers a very comfortable ride!
  • Anonymous
    The rally school sounds awesome so will look into that cheers guys
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Depends on your budget?

Millbrook has some great courses from a variety of marques. Landrover experience half/full day is a great way to spend a few hours alternatively for simple adrenalin on four wheels,a karting day is hard to beat.

If the guy in question is into his bikes the absolute best way would be to book a day at the california super bike school in the UK. Its simply the most fun you can have without a threat of divorce.

I've done several trips in a previous life with the best being three days in Jerez with them.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    Sadly doesn't motorbike and he doesn't have the defender any more.

I am really tempted by go karting, but wrong as it may be, I always think he's a bit too old for it, and may suggest it for another bday.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    We went karting at Sandown for my 40th a few years back. My wife organised it secretly and got a big group together. He's not too old, but once you pass 40 it takes a bit longer to recover from the aches and pains. Amazing how physical driving a kart is.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Rally and 4x4 schools are a lot more value for money, but I'd also look at a skid pan course. I've done a few, last one I did was on a simulator rig which basically was a car attached to a frame with shopping trolly wheels, the operator basically jacked up each corner at a time to simulate different challenges. Funny how you can make a front wheel drive car behave like a rear wheel drive car.

i did the http://www.philprice.co.uk/ a few years ago (Mk2 escords and cosworths - shows how long ago) lots of fun and a real change to learn car handling - I think a day is about £300. I've done palmer sport too - its best left to company entertainment events, not really something you can justify for a day.

All the other experience days result in you barely getting a go.

The skid pan and rally course are going to open his eyes up to his driving skills. Have also previously been an advanced instructor (motorbikes) I wouldn't wish an advanced driving course on anyone as a birthday gift - its more akin to driving lessons or a council driver improvement scheme.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited March 2015
    I haven done the Aston/Ferrari track day and thoroughly recommend it.
    I got @ 6 laps in a (Edit) Seat Leon FR for initial training followed by 6-8 laps in each of the Aston and Ferrari.

It was expensive but IMO, well worth it.

On the other hand, what I came away with most was - How good the Leon was. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I once did a day's Club 100 karting somewhere down in kent (work colleague roped me in when one of his mates dropped out)

They are bonkers quick compared to what you normally drive on a karting circuit; brilliant fun.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    115cc two-strokes - absolutely stonkingly quick for 20 bhp.