to bib or not to bib

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
that is the question..

Either over the last few months of tight wearing my thighs have turned from saplings to tree trunks or, more likely, i shrunk my shorts in the tumble dryer :lol: . Anyway I need to get a new pair of shorts. My tights were bib tights and, apart from the nuisance when you need to pee I quite like them. Just wondering what the consensus is on bib shorts, I never remember standard shorts being that irritating apart from occaisonally digging into your stomach, but now I've tried bib tights I'm wondering whether the extra bit of money to get bib versions is worth it?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Always bibs, and never tumble dry cycling kit.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    njee20 wrote:
    and never tumble dry cycling kit.

yes i've learnt that one, it was a 'balls they are wet, once won't hurt moment'... :oops:

bibs it is.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Bibs all the way
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bibs
  • Sir.Swish
    Sir.Swish Posts: 80
    Not one for using them all the time but if I plan a day in the saddle then bib up!
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Bibs, you can just get on and ride then.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just to be different I cant stand Bibs. I have had a couple of pairs over the years but just cant get on with them. They are good for winter stop any draughts getting to your back but they irritate the hell out of me I feel like I cant stand up straight without strangling the Plums.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Bibs are the way forward for me!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    stubs wrote:
    They are good for winter stop any draughts getting to your back but they irritate the hell out of me I feel like I cant stand up straight without strangling the Plums.
    I love the lack of draughts and avoiding the tendency of shorts to roll-over the waistband, but having a proportionately long back bibs can mean strangled plums or furrowed shoulders.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • kajjal
    Batmo wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    They are good for winter stop any draughts getting to your back but they irritate the hell out of me I feel like I cant stand up straight without strangling the Plums.
    I love the lack of draughts and avoiding the tendency of shorts to roll-over the waistband, but having a proportionately long back bibs can mean strangled plums or furrowed shoulders.

Go to a tailor and get the straps extended, I have the same problem being tall with a long back.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Kajjal wrote:
    Batmo wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Go to a tailor and get the straps extended, I have the same problem being tall with a long back.

Tailor ermm this is the 21st C you know last time I saw a Tailors shop was about 20 years ago :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kajjal
    Our local dry cleaners does various adjustments and repairs to clothing which is what I meant :)
  • kahunajb
    kahunajb Posts: 26
    Has anyone mentioned bibs yet?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I am a messy eater
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stubs wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Batmo wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Tailor ermm this is the 21st C you know last time I saw a Tailors shop was about 20 years ago :lol:

I believe the tailors shop is next to the apothacary and opposite the habadasher, near the iron monger.
  • kajjal
    stubs wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Batmo wrote:
    stubs wrote:

I believe the tailors shop is next to the apothacary and opposite the habadasher, near the iron monger.

I normally send my butler and ask him to get me some port, cigars and the evening chronicle :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I am a messy eater
    Was that since before you lost your last tooth or after.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.