Wheel choice... Mavic v Enve v Zipp v Shimano

yorkie75
yorkie75 Posts: 62
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a bonus on its way, so I'm fancying some bling wheels for the bike. Its a choice between Mavic Carbone 40Cs, Enve Classic Clincher 45s, Zipp 303 or 404s, or Dura Ace 9000 C50s. Whats the collective opinions on here?

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I you REALLY want some nice wheels that feel great to ride, you should be looking at tubulars.

The Mavic Ultimates and Lightweights are excellent.
  • yorkie75
    yorkie75 Posts: 62
    Unfortunately tubs scare me a little... I like being able to change a tube there and then. I can't say I know enough on tubs and punctures to be looking at buying a set. £2000 is the limit price wise, so Ultimates and Lightweight are out of the question anyway.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Yorkie75 wrote:
    Unfortunately tubs scare me a little... I like being able to change a tube there and then. I can't say I know enough on tubs and punctures to be looking at buying a set. £2000 is the limit price wise, so Ultimates and Lightweight are out of the question anyway.

Really nothing to worry about - I paid £1000 for my Ultimates and £2000 for the Lightweights, both as good as new.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Go tubular and ENVE (6.7's are the way forward). If you're still scared of tubs (and that's really due to the lack of knowledge about them) then get ENVE 6.7 clinchers.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • If I was buying now I'd go for ENVE 4.5 or Mavic Ultimates
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Good call on the 4.5
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have the C40's and really like them - not the lightest wheels out there. Unhelpfully, I also very much like the 303 firecrests - quite a bit wider rim and I wonder if some bikes may have frame clearance issues - worth checking the dimensions. Must confess though, probably frivolous on my part, but I've always liked the look of the Enve's with CK hubs. Purely on aesthetics. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, and I needed a new best wheelset, that's where it would go. You do also need to like the sound of CK freehubs to pick this one!

Peter
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Campag Bora ?
  • If they have to be clinchers, Id go for the 40c's...
  • pkelly76
    pkelly76 Posts: 8
    Avoid zipps like the plague. The worst hubs I have ever come across without any shadow of a doubt. I have sent mine back to zipp after 2000km and they are telling me I need the bearings replaced for a cost of over €120. I am going to dispute this with them. Stay tuned!
  • I'm in a similar position to Yorkie75. I have the new Ridley Noah SL frameset turning up next week and I need some deep section wheels to do it justice. I like the look of Zipps but I've read lots of commentary about poor hubs and they dont seem to be the best at customer service. I'm being drawn towards Reynolds Strike/Assaults - seem good value and I haven't seen any negative reviews. ENVE's look really nice but pricey. Anyone tried the new Knight 65's?
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    Buy Enve SES series. Very good performance.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/