Campagnolo and TRP Spyre brakes

dbrooksbank
dbrooksbank Posts: 20
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi. I'm in the process of building up a cyclo-cross frameset as my commuting bike. This is using a Veloce groupset and TRP spyre brakes.

I already have the brake and gear cable set, which is a standard campag ultrashift pack. Everything is fine for the gear cables, however the brakes are an issue. The disc brakes require full lengths of outer which are not part of the pack (not long enough), and really wants to be compressionless as well.

Can anyone suggest a suitable compatible outer cable that I could use. is it possible to get this separately instead of part of a set?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I just get the brake cables I want and the buy a long length of compression less housing from my LBS. Otherwise most lengths on eBay will do the job. Jag wire etc.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For the money you might be just as well getting this Sram Slickwire set on the Planet X clearance:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSSRSWBCK/ ... -cable-kit

Just ditch the inners (or save them for your mountainbike...)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I use Campagnolo and TRP HyRD and use normal outer, in fact I use budget Transfil outer... I think it's for Shimano, but works fine... cable outer is just cable outer... not sure what compressionless is supposed to do better... I am happy
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I use Campagnolo and TRP HyRD and use normal outer, in fact I use budget Transfil outer... I think it's for Shimano, but works fine... cable outer is just cable outer... not sure what compressionless is supposed to do better... I am happy

Funny, usually it's Ugo complaining about people chiming in with no knowledge.

Much as the name suggests, compressionless outer doesn't compress when pressure is applied, meaning that more of the force applied at the lever is transmitted onto the brake pads, so giving better brake response.

I can confirm from experience that it is better, particularly at the rear where the full length conventional brake outer on my bike used to give a very spongy response.
  • ugo.santalucia
    TimothyW wrote:

Funny, usually it's Ugo complaining about people chiming in with no knowledge.

Much as the name suggests, compressionless outer doesn't compress when pressure is applied, meaning that more of the force applied at the lever is transmitted onto the brake pads, so giving better brake response.

I can confirm from experience that it is better, particularly at the rear where the full length conventional brake outer on my bike used to give a very spongy response.

I understand what compression less do... whether the OP NEEDS to spend silly money for a length of cable is a different matter, IME he doesn't... but then again, if you find it cheap, then why not...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have built up bikes with standard transfil outer and the compressiknless outers from jagwire and the jagwire outers do remove some of the sponginess in the levers. Worth it i think. I have put them on my bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I really dislike TRP brakes on campagnolo. There just isn't enough throw on the lever to actuate the brake efficiently.

If you set the HY/RDs up correctly they brake "OK" until they wear and then you have to re adjust again. The whole thing then needs reset if your dare to change a tyre and can't get the quick release in the exactly the same position and torque.

I am a Campagnolo fan, but am switching to Shimano for the winter commuter.
  • ugo.santalucia
    guinea wrote:
    I really dislike TRP brakes on campagnolo. There just isn't enough throw on the lever to actuate the brake efficiently.

If you set the HY/RDs up correctly they brake "OK" until they wear and then you have to re adjust again. The whole thing then needs reset if your dare to change a tyre and can't get the quick release in the exactly the same position and torque.

I am a Campagnolo fan, but am switching to Shimano for the winter commuter.

You probably had the old faulty HyRD that did not self adjust for wear... the new ones do... once I set them up, I have not touched them. Yes, the lever throw is a bit long, but I got used to it and I can safely do an emergency brake even from the hoods.
    I have corrected one set of wheels with Hope rotor spacers so that the disc is in the same spot, so no problems when I swap the wheels either
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Fair play, I've just put some TRP Spyres on my Swiss Cross. I MAY swap them onto one of the other bikes (all of which have Hy Rd).

But, can I say, how easy they went on. I haven't even attached any cables. Set them loose, pulled the brake by hand and then tightened the bolt. Both are perfectly centred and tick free. Pads seem very close indeed.

We'll see how much play there is when I cable them up but they seem lovely so far.

And they play nice with my lovely new Hope Race X2 140mm floating rotor. I think I'll probably get a rear as well.......
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I had a problem with my HyRD at Gent-Wevelgem... it was wet and muddy and after an hour I lost the front brake completely... basically the piston did not adjust for pad wear. I botched a repair by pressing the piston half in and it worked until the end of the "race". Once at home I dismantled, remounted and eventually after a few squeezes it did compensate for wear.
    I did contact TRP, who are very useful and sent me images of the new and old model and I do indeed have the new model... so I can only assume that despite being careful I did not install it correctly the first time, putting too much tension on the piston arm, even using the screw...

Anyway, one week in the alps it has been fine, so all is back to normal I guess.