GXP Cranks with Hollowtech 2 BB

stevienicknacks
stevienicknacks Posts: 35
edited March 2015 in Workshop
WILL GXP Cranks work with a Hollowtech 2 BB? From what I can see on the spec sheet they are the same dia?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    With a 24mm axle diameter yes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    GXP cranks have a stepped spindle - 24mm on DS, 22mm on NDS whereas HT2 is 24mm straight. The likes of Hope make a top-hat reducer bush for the job.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks chaps, its an SRAM red22 crankset, GXP but its 24mm at both DS and NDS?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No it's not.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    For the cost buy the correct BB and GXP is not 24 both sides. As the bearings work differently.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Ive got an SRAM GXP crankset and hollowtech 2 BB, managed to get a set of dead cheap ceramic bearing's and worked out cheaper to buy the adapter and bearings than it did buying a set of bog standard gxp bearings! Couldn't believe my luck! Here is the adapter i use: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOLLOWTECH-2- ... 234a9f6c8d
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Thanks chaps. Agree for the sake of £20 I will buy a new BB, just wanted to five it a try first because it's an 11spd crank and I'm set up for 10. I'll measure again but sure this crank was 24mm all the way along.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks chaps. Agree for the sake of £20 I will buy a new BB, just wanted to five it a try first because it's an 11spd crank and I'm set up for 10. I'll measure again but sure this crank was 24mm all the way along.
    it is until you get to the bit that sits in the bearing.
    SRAM_X5_Crank_FATBIKE_GXP10.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes, re-measured it and could see that it drops. thanks or the post.