Which new bike £250-400

jjl5590
jjl5590 Posts: 79
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I've been riding a Saracen Mantra X27 for about 3 years.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sar ... e-ec026737

It's been my only bike and has been excellent up until recently. I use it as my sole means of transport to work (put road tires on it) but it's had a hard life; the brakes are shot, as is the fork and gears. So time for a new bike I think!

I visited my LBS and they kept pressing their Coyote Nevada for £350. I had a little ride on it but was unimpressed, and I need a bigger frame. (My Saracen is a 17" and I want an 18").

So, what would you guys recommend? I'd like to spend in the reigon of £250-400. Probably would go for a hardtail as I won't be able to get a decent full suspension with that budget.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rockrider 520 from Decathlon, Calibre two.two from Go Outdoors or the Voodoo Bantu or Carrera Kraken from Halfords are the go to options in that price range. I can't even find a link to the Coyote.

Personally I'd do up the Mantra, most of it will be usable and with some careful buying and DIY fitting it shouldn't cost too much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jjl5590
    Forgot to mention that I'd have no problem buying used
  • jjl5590
    My bike is gone, everything will need to be replaced. It's easier to just get a new bike.

That VooDoo does look nice... I'm also looking at the Rockrider B'twin 520.

I've heard bad things about the Tektro HDC-300 brakes. My most impostant component on the bike for me is the brakes. The Quad-Dime ones on my Saracen were amazing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of choice used, too much to make meaningful recommendations.

The fork is the most important single component, I've found the Tektro's to be a solid choice if a little uninspiring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.