Tips for riding with flat pedals (used to spd!)

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Afternoon all, having recently bought my first full sus bike i want to use flat pedals on it...

Now, this might seem a very silly question - but does anyone have any tips for riding with flats?

I am too used to riding with SPD and it must be at least 16 years since i rode flats!

went out for its maiden ride at the FOD on sat, every time i unweighted the bike, ie a jump/crest etc my feet came off the pedals and i had a few moments...
i am too used to just pulling up i think, i know you are supposed to point your feet down and pull back, but easier said than done...

is it just a matter of carrying on with them and learning as i go?

i asked a mate who has never rode spd, he cannot understand what i mean as he said gravity should keep my feet on the pedals, but it doesnt!
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why then?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not stick with spd's?
  • fudgey
    Dunno really, just assumed better bike control and being able to step off easier should i need to.
    I use the shimano m540 pedals on my hardtail, and if going down some steep sections id want to unclip, but with spd shoes on you have zero grip on the pedals so makes it dodgy.

I am also not that confident going over drops or jumps clipped in, a few years ago i came off my hardtail and broke my ankle quite badly. If i was not clipped in i would have still been hurt but probably would not have been in a cast for almost 8 weeks.

I want to use the full sus to the best of my ability (which is not great ha!) without the fear of breaking bones holding me back i guess
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends mainly on technique, partly on pedals and shoes.

So what are you using?

And practice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fudgey
    Pedals are some old dmr v8's and shoes were not the best, just some north face hedgehogs that i dont mind getting muddy.

Technique somewhat lacking i think is my biggest issue
  • perhaps try some airwalks or etnes?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It will just be practice. With spds if you jump you pull the bike up with you. On flats if you do exactly the same you leave the bike behind !

Just keep practicing and it will soon be second nature.
  • fudgey
    Kajjal that is exactly what i was doing.

I will get some better trainers asap, they are on the list.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Fudgey wrote:
    Dunno really, just assumed better bike control and being able to step off easier should i need to.
    I use the shimano m540 pedals on my hardtail, and if going down some steep sections id want to unclip, but with spd shoes on you have zero grip on the pedals so makes it dodgy.

I am also not that confident going over drops or jumps clipped in, a few years ago i came off my hardtail and broke my ankle quite badly. If i was not clipped in i would have still been hurt but probably would not have been in a cast for almost 8 weeks.

I want to use the full sus to the best of my ability (which is not great ha!) without the fear of breaking bones holding me back i guess

There's a whole load going on in that post that says it's got nothing to do with the pedals and everything to do with what's going on inside of your head.

Other than the fact that I know I run clipless (Crank Brothers Mallet) I couldn't tell you during a ride, particularly down a steep or technical section, whether I was riding flats or clipless - I'm far too busy focusing on where to put the bike/my weight etc. and making the ride flow to even think about "I may need to take a dab here" - and if ever I do need to take a dab then my pedals allow me to do that without even thinking about how I need to exit them.

Sounds to me like you're busy blaming a lack of technique on your pedals. Spend some money on getting some riding instruction and learn how to ride the stuff properly rather than thinking you're going to need to hike your bike down it!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    Having never ridden clipless I don't have the experience you've had but it sounds like the years of using SPD's has meant that your technique has depended on you pulling the bike up with your feet rather than the bike and you moving as one. If you want to stick with the flats then it's probably worth heading back to basics and relearn without the benefits of SPD's.
  • fudgey
    I have said that my technique is not great, and my balance is quite poor on the bike too.
    I find the new bike much easier to control than my hardtail tho and that was noticable on the ride.

I have never had much confidence at jumping etc so probably need to build on that a lot and try and get over the fear of coming off.

I also ride a road bike since last may, so will still use clipless on that.

I am doing the HONC again in april and mountain mayhem in july, so ill try and get more practice in.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Fudgey wrote:
    Kajjal that is exactly what i was doing.

I will get some better trainers asap, they are on the list.

A good flat sole gives a better grip and improves balance.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Flats dont give any more control. Taking a foot off is poor technique, if you keep your feet on the pedals you can control the bike better, even on really loose turns. On steep trails taking a foot off is really bad for control.
    You should never pull up on any pedal, including spds when jumping.
    I used to use flats for downhill but changed to spds last summer and feel so much more in control, Im crashing less, Im faster and never have problems with feet getting bounced in to a bad position.
    Im not entirely convinced about the extra efficiency from spds but can definitely sprint faster with them.
  • fudgey
    Cheers.
    With regard to the taking a foot off while going down hill, i just meant to unclip but still have foot on the pedal.
    Its confidence more than anything i guess.

I will probably end up sticking the spds on it in the end.

Not been out this last week as my ribs are still incredibly painful from an off last weekend. Nothing to do with my feet, front end washed out ha...
  • Kind of the same issue here.

I've road with SPD's for a good few years though mostly just canals and stuff. I went to Cannock a few weeks back when it was frosty and a combination of forgetting to drop my tyre pressures and being clipped in knocked my confidence massively.

I bought some cheap flat pedals till I get to know the place and will then switch back to SPD's though after a couple of laps I'm already considering doing this (mainly due to having a lot more moments with my feet coming of the pedals after forgetting I can't lift than moments where I was glad I wasn't clipless)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Similar issue here.

I new to MTB's and came from road bikes.

After years getting used to road bikes, flat pedals just do not feel right. I bought some crank bros egg beaters for my new MTB but I'm finding MTB's a completely different kettle of fish with a lot more slowing down, negotiating tricky tight moves and unpredictable stops. It's been a while since I've gone over while clipped into my road bike but I was falling over at a standstill while on my MTB five times a ride :-) Trying to negotiate a series of tight uphill hairpin bends while clipped into a big 29er was emotional. I got quite familiar with the trail side shrubbery.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you are riding with flats vs SPD's move the pedal more into the middle of your foot, so the axle is more over the front of the arch. Gives better control and you are more able to stay on the pedal than if you use the ball of the foot as you would with normal spd style shoes.

Also, get used to dropping your heel and driving the bike into the ground - its something you should do with spd's as well but I know from personal experience that it gets lost with the shaped spd shoes and attachment to the bike sometimes.

I switched to flats four or five years ago and have been working on the above with great effect each year since.

Also get better pedals and shoes if you mean to stick with it. V8's a balls all good at the best of times and with a pair of walking style shoes you will never feel like you have any grip. Skate shoes would be better, 5:10's better still and Sombrio shoes best. But only with better pedals.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bladeone
    bladeone Posts: 94
    im in same situation used spd for years but after an accident wasn't the spd`s fault just my lack of skill, decided to try flats got some superstar flats and used my dc skate shoes grip well, but was having same issues with my feet, thinking they were leaving the pedals, but a friend said they may not actually be separating but might just be the weightlessness, as before the bike pulled down on the spd shoe.
    getting there slowly and must remember the lack of ground clearance.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
    Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
  • fudgey
    That is one thing i noticed, i kept hitting the floor with the pedals. Cheers chaps
  • fudgey
    Went out today wearing some flat soled skate type shoes and had a much better ride, feet stayed on the pedals 99% of the time, except when i clipped the floor.. Made an effort to make sure my heels were down and when they were things seemed ok, over small jumps and drop offs etc.

Not sure if its me or a lack of ground clearance for the reason i keep clouting the pedals on the floor tho...
  • cooldad
    It's you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fudgey
    Probably!
    but when i stood my bike next to a mates trek remedy. his pedal sat nicely on top of mine with both in the 6 o'clock position so he has about an inch more ground clearance than me.

i will try some more air in the rear shock first, currently its about 30% sag so ill try 25%, see if that makes any difference
  • cooldad
    Inside pedal up when conrnering, and don't pedal when leaning. Or learn to anticipate lumpy ground, stumps etc.
    Sag needs to set correctly for suspension, not to adjust clearance.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps even as a riding god, I sometimes clout pedals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fudgey
    Went out on it sat and sunday and i am now pretty sure its 99.9% technique that i was lacking!
    getting better with far less feet slip offs, managed a few jumps and drop-offs etc and a few small DH trails all without incident.
    learning body/feet positioning so its all good :D

as for the sag, measured again with all my riding kit and it was over 35% so put some air in the shock to 30%.
    still hit the pedal a few times but much less than before.

so there we go, practice, practice then practice some more!