Wheelsmith Aero Disc Road

nibby
nibby Posts: 246
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
All these thread’s of new wheels have got me thinking of a new set for my all year commuting/winter CX bike. It’s a Caadx and currently using the stock maddux cx2 with 35mm Sammy slicks.

TBH they are great and have been using them for everything from commuting to riding dirt and loving the bike.

As above I’m going to be using the bike all year for commuting/training/winter riding and have been thinking of another set of wheels that will help with the type of riding and have the current stock ones for more cx/off road type of riding and maybe nice as a backup set if needed.

I’ve been looking at Wheelsmiths Aero Disc Road, spec below which look pretty good to me.

Anyone have a set?

Are they any good and would they be better than current stock wheels for the riding I’m doing i.e. commute/training/winter riding?

Might also just put a set of 28mm road tyres on and save a few quid!!

Cheers

Aero Disc Road
• Road or CX 470g rim. 25mm wide, 29mm deep alloy rim on Wheelsmith 6-bolt sealed bearing hubs. Takes 25mm tyre minimum. 95psi max.
• 24-32h drilling available.
• Tubeless-ready
• Black CX-Rays: £495.
• Weight I think around 1650 g

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Not cheap, innit?

Less money buy you Hope hubs on Pacenti with D Light spokes, same weight, better hubs...
    left the forum March 2023
  • nibby
    Sounds good, where will I get them?

Would I notice a difference compared to current stock if say I just changed tyres over on current wheelset?

As you say a lot of money but I do use them at least 4 days a week at the moment.

Cheers
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    nibby wrote:

At least one source to consider

http://www.moonglu.com/products/handbui ... isc-wheels

I've recently ordered a set of Archetype/Hope Pro2 Evo wheels from them due to arrive tomorrow.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    nibby wrote:

Would I notice a difference compared to current stock if say I just changed tyres over on current wheelset?

As you say a lot of money but I do use them at least 4 days a week at the moment.

Cheers

Some CX tyres are a drag, some others are very nippy... I have done sportives on CX tyres, but you need to find the right one... even better if you run them tubeless, to avoid the inevitable puncture.
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I wonder which hub wheelsmith is using. The velocity aileron is a similar rim to what Wheelsmith has maybe look at those. Also CX-ray spokes on a high spoke count wheelset does not turn it into an aero wheelset. I have a 28F/28R spoke HED tubular wheelset with CX-rays, I struggle to feel the aero affect compared to a 32F/32R build with archetype rims and round spokes. By struggle I mean I can't doesn't means it not there it just small.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nibby
    thanks for replies, something to think about....
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've got a set, didn't go CX ray which saves a bit of cash. Nice wheels, Im very happy with them, roll well,nice and stiff, there isn't much not to like. I'm running Conti 4s 28's on them, also a caadx.
  • nibby
    Stueys wrote:
    I've got a set, didn't go CX ray which saves a bit of cash. Nice wheels, Im very happy with them, roll well,nice and stiff, there isn't much not to like. I'm running Conti 4s 28's on them, also a caadx.

Nice one.. Compared to the caadx stock wheels how do they compare? faster?

I'm thinking of just putting on some Cont 4s 28's on stock for the moment as cash is tight.

Cheers
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

Hope Pro2EVO on Pacenti/Archetype in 28/28 or 28/32 would be my call. I have a couple of pairs of these, all set up tubeless.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    nibby wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Nice one.. Compared to the caadx stock wheels how do they compare? faster?

I'm thinking of just putting on some Cont 4s 28's on stock for the moment as cash is tight.

Cheers

Lighter, more aero and wider, so difference is fairly pronounced. It's the only upgrade I've made to mine (caadx rival 22 hydr) and it was well worth it IMHO. Rest of the running gear is pretty good for the price point,the stock wheels were the weak link.
  • 79543dean
    79543dean Posts: 88
    I've recently bought a set of Wheelsmith Disc Clincher wheels.

Mine are Race24 rims, Sapin CX spokes and Hope Pro2 Evo hubs.

I'm very pleased with them and personally i think they're much better than Kinesis Crosslight V3.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Alternatives are the pacenti sl25 rims and the velocity aileron on the hubs of your choice. 25mm wide rims are the way to go who ever you get your wheels form.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.