Rotor 4130 bearings - installing in carbon shell

cswitch
cswitch Posts: 261
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Anyone have experience of installing these bearings in a carbon shell? Ive been advised by the supplier to use retaining compound along with activator. I've used this before on aluminium shells and completely creak free. However I'm slightly anxious about using in a carbon shell especially as how Scott even state not to use certain assembly paste on their frames.

I'll be emailing Scott too and I'll report back if I get a response though I expect they're going to take a default position of don't use anything as it can attack the resin. In the meantime I'm keen to hear any suggestions.

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Be interested to hear, as I am going to have to install some to a BMC GF01
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    Hi, I found this on the Park site. 'The bearings are a mild press fit into the frame. In aluminum frames only, it is recommend to either grease the pressed surfaces or to use a mild thread locker.'

I know it's not the Rotor BB, but 4130 is just for a BB86 shell. Full article here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the frame manufacturers tech specs in terms of recommended products. Loctite is pretty inert - it doesn't contain any solvents like some greases than can degrade the resin.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cswitch
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Check the frame manufacturers tech specs in terms of recommended products. Loctite is pretty inert - it doesn't contain any solvents like some greases than can degrade the resin.

Already have and it doesn't mention anything about loctite.
  • cswitch
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Hi, I found this on the Park site. 'The bearings are a mild press fit into the frame. In aluminum frames only, it is recommend to either grease the pressed surfaces or to use a mild thread locker.'

I know it's not the Rotor BB, but 4130 is just for a BB86 shell. Full article here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

Only scanned through but doesn't refer to metal cups in a carbon shell. Only the plastic cups type - which I currently have. Never had a problem with these in a carbon shell. I just press them in dry.

As for the 4130 with loctite I'll contact Westbrook cycles workshop (where the frameset was bought) and see if they have any advice.
  • brettjmcc
    Can you ask for me? :) I got my GF01 from Westbrook and would be calling them too!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • cswitch
    Westbrook stated they haven't installed a PF4130 in a carbon shell so couldn't really advise but did say park tools do a carbon friendly grease that they do use.
  • brettjmcc
    16580821557_7778bd31eb.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    cswitch wrote:
    Westbrook stated they haven't installed a PF4130 in a carbon shell so couldn't really advise but did say park tools do a carbon friendly grease that they do use.

What's that when it's at home?? Seriously I can't think of a general purpose grease that'll adversely affect CF composites.

As for installing PF BB's in a CF frame it seems the usual advise is grease only. Loctite or similar is used when installing into alu or alu-sleeved CF frames - helps prevent creaking apparently.
  • cswitch
    rafletcher wrote:
    cswitch wrote:

What's that when it's at home?? Seriously I can't think of a general purpose grease that'll adversely affect CF composites.

As for installing PF BB's in a CF frame it seems the usual advise is grease only. Loctite or similar is used when installing into alu or alu-sleeved CF frames - helps prevent creaking apparently.

Supposedly park tools do two greases. One is carbon friendly as doesn't have solvents in it. I assume they know what theyre talking about.

Well I ended up using the lactate with activator. Its not creaking. I'll find out how strong the bond is when I eventually remove it but as Ive had a couple of recommendations (Rotor also told me should be okay and Cervelo recommend 609) it should be okay.