Is the Shimano 105 5800 rear hub 10 spd compatible?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I need to replace my rear hub but the 5700 hubs don't seem to be available any more and I don't want to replace all the other stuff needed to move to 11 spd.

Do the Shimano 105 5800 rear hubs support 10 spd?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2015
    Yes, but you need to use a 1.85mm spacer to take up the extra room. I am not sure if one is included or not.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the flange diameters and offsets are on the 5800 hub vs the 5700? I have a similar problem!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Yes it is as i am running 5800 hubs with 10 speed casette. i have a spacer which was provided with the wheels and it runs great
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    DesWeller wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the flange diameters and offsets are on the 5800 hub vs the 5700? I have a similar problem!

They are virtually the same since the late 1980s bar a couple of millimeters... you can use any old number you find with a 45 mm hole circle
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    So if I've, say, seized up a bearing in a 5700 hub so badly I've destroyed the races, I could reuse the spokes in a 5800 hub. Sweet.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ugo.santalucia
    DesWeller wrote:
    So if I've, say, seized up a bearing in a 5700 hub so badly I've destroyed the races, I could reuse the spokes in a 5800 hub. Sweet.

You can... I am not a big fan of reusing spokes on a new hub, but if you want to save 20 quid, that's the way to do it
  • desweller
    The spokes are almost new...I respoked the wheel last year and it's only done a few hundred miles since.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ugo.santalucia
    DesWeller wrote:
    The spokes are almost new...I respoked the wheel last year and it's only done a few hundred miles since.

I am not of the Roger Musson school... I don't re-use spokes on a new hub... but you can do it... :wink: