Ideal commuting weather?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
For me today was near enough perfect, no rain (damp on the road though) warm enough for just a Base layer T-shirt and shorts but not so warm that I got at all sweaty (well except for a bit on my head under the helmet), still winter gloves though - and almost no wind.

How was it for you?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Light dusting of snow and hidden ice. 25 mph headwind the whole way in. It was bright and sunny until I reached Musselburgh, then there was horizontal sleet for the last five miles.

I've had better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,632
    20 degrees, no wind.

Edit: that's my ideal commuting weather.

Today was 5 degrees, massive tailwind.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Ice and remnants of yesterday's snow and hail on the verges, headwind rising from 15 to 25 mph, temp around 2 celcius, sunny. A bit of a slog, but otherwise lovely. Bit of a north/south divide today it seems.
  • The Rookie
    vermin wrote:
    Bit of a north/south divide today it seems.
    Except I'm in the Midlands! But yes sounds like it was 'grim up north', sorry, no offence intended!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Hosing it down when I left this morning. Stopped raining after about 5 miles, then just wet roads leading to the inevitable cockney-drian tan - ie a splattering of 'orrible black road juice (thanks v much non mudguard users) all over me. The roads in London are bloddy filthy.

On the plus side, it wasn't that cold.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I'm on the north side of the divide. First dark, really icy and mild hail showers, then light, icy patches and evil hail showers. Only blessing was not much wind.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Threats of rain, post rain muck and a puncture, which meant that the weather got even worse as I got cold again.

Not ideal.

It is getting close to being very nice though.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The Rookie wrote:
    For me today was near enough perfect, no rain (damp on the road though) warm enough for just a Base layer T-shirt and shorts but not so warm that I got at all sweaty (well except for a bit on my head under the helmet), still winter gloves though - and almost no wind.

How was it for you?
    I think we had the same conversation around this time last year, with a similar disparity in clothing. I've lost weight since then (triathlon training) and feel the cold more than before. This morning I was in:

merino socks
    road shoes
    toe covers
    overshoes
    bib shorts
    winter bib tights (with no chamois)
    mesh base layer
    long sleeved merino base layer
    long sleeved merino-mix jersey
    rapha softshell jacket
    merino neck hoop
    winter hat with ear flap
    silk glove liners
    winter leather gloves

The average temperature recorded on my Garmin for the ride was 1.3C. Probably be in similar on the way home, although I tend to feel the cold more in the morning, so may ditch the glove liners and the neck hoop.
  • graeme_s-2
    Ah - previous thread was Autumn 2013

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12945363
  • The Rookie
    Yup, I know I run hot but if I wore what you wear Graeme I think I'd die of heat exhaustion, T-shirt and shorts again today, just a mild frost on the ground, left the waterproof socks at home and just wore normal office socks as it was dry.

So today was
    Normal short socks
    Second pair of normal short socks (as much to fill out the shoes as for warmth)
    Shimano MTB shoes
    Normal boxer shorts
    Lightweight baggy shorts (Polaris)
    Base layer T-shirt
    RSP winter gloves (yes my fingers do get cold sometimes).

Pedalled hard, no sweating (have to take the helmet off as soon as I stop though or I get sweaty under it), not cold - perfect!

6.7miles in just under half an hour door to door inc stops for traffic, average rolling speed is down a bit at the moment as I lose a chunk of time filtering for over half a mile at some roadworks (Gibbet Hill chaos).
  • graeme_s-2
    It just makes me laugh. Seems amazing how different physiology can be from one person to the next. I don't think of myself as being someone who runs particularly cold either. In Autumn and Spring I'll often be in arm and leg warmers while my riding buddies will be in longs and jackets. I probably am about a stone lighter than when I posted about this in Autumn 2013, and I definitely do feel the cold more now.

We had a fire alarm yesterday afternoon and all ended up stood in the Scarman House car park for 40 minutes standing in the shade exposed to the wind. I was absolutely freezing by the time they let us back in!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    After the sun has set on a warm spring day and there is an icy chill in the air, zero wind. Perfect for hacking along at a solid pace with a refreshing breeze.
  • The Rookie
    It is strange how different people react, a colleague who cycles in is strongly in your camp Graeme, though I guess whatever is your ideal you'll only get it in 2 narrowish bands each year between Winter and Summer. I do get cold standing around, although I'll walk over to the shops by the Rootes building in a short sleeved shirt with my colleagues in their jumpers and coats!

At least you seem to be in my camp Pete!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'll walk over to the shops ... in a short sleeved shirt

:shock:

Not in daylight, surely.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    vermin wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'll walk over to the shops ... in a short sleeved shirt

:shock:

Not in daylight, surely.
    :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I tend to run colder than most I think. One problem I have with my commute in winter is the change in pace and temperature. It's only 6 miles, split roughly into thirds. The first third is very stop start and cycle paths so I don't tend to warm up through it, the next third is through Bushy Park and the temperature tends to be a few degrees colder. Once I've left the park there is traffic, but fewer lights and stops so I tend to keep moving and at a higher speed than the rest of the ride. Appropriate dress for the first two thirds means I'm a sweaty mess by the time I get to work. Dressing for the final stint means I'm freezing for most of the ride.
    Yes, I do occasionally stop and remove a layer.
  • The Rookie
    That said on my commute in, my first 1.5 miles is a gentle downhill which I'm doing at over 20mph (best average is 26mph) so quite a lot of wind chill before I'm generating much heat, but it only feels chilly on my skin, it doesn't make me feel cold on the inside (so to speak).

I didn't say ONLY a short sleeved shirt!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Not fussed on temp as long as its dry but I start to wear shorts and minimal top half gear over 8 deg.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com