The Dreaded Tuesday...

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited March 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Morning Losers!

My Mum gave me a lift back to da Hudd last night, so I'm back at work today. Yaay.

The garage has been running diagnostics on the car, but they're confused now as they believe it's a sensor that's broken, but it's not telling them which. I will have to wait and see if I can be ar$ed forking out money on getting it repaired, trouble is, the car is useful. The motorbike is fun, but you get wet whilst on it, which isn't fun.

Bury are at home tonight, so I'll be biking over to that. It's due to rain. Woo.

Laters!
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    TKM - is there anything left on the car that's not been replaced?

Earlier but slower start as youngest rugrat is eight today, so family breakfast before going to the joys of work. Today is understanding the impact of main minions husbands passing away and telling the team, it's not going to be a nice day.

Later is the pub, because given the choice of where to eat birthday chose the pub and steak!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Morning all,
    Nice way to start the day Matt, not so nice when you get to work though. :( He didn't have an accident whilst downhilling on a hardtail did he?
    TKM, buy an old car with no sensors. When the cam sensor went on my Audi I jumped in the Mini and it just started. The car has no sense and no feelings.
    I managed to wobble in this morning, rather slowly as still have no energy after the bug I had last week. We have 1 more member of staff than we had yesterday so should be a bit quieter for me at least.
    Onwards to tea, and maybe a few biscuits.
  • thekickingmule
    matthew h wrote:
    TKM - is there anything left on the car that's not been replaced?
    It's pretty much a case of the Ship of Theseus, except I still have one part I know to be original... the head gasket... :?
    matthew h wrote:
    Earlier but slower start as youngest rugrat is eight today,
    Whenever I see that someone's child is 8, I think 'Ha, you're old!' then realise that most my friends with children have kids around that age. One started high school this year! (Her mum was a slag though)
    Veronese68 wrote:
    TKM, buy an old car with no sensors. When the cam sensor went on my Audi I jumped in the Mini and it just started. The car has no sense and no feelings.
    I've not really got any money to buy anything else. I'm really tempted to though, as I understand that I'm spending money on a car that is giving me no guarantees of surviving the summer.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've not really got any money to buy anything else. I'm really tempted to though, as I understand that I'm spending money on a car that is giving me no guarantees of surviving the summer.
    Broken down the car is worth scrap, repaired it will have some value so it might be the time to move it on once it's fixed. If the car is only worth £500 keep it and run it until it dies. If you get a bill for £500 scrap it and buy another one for £500. Run that until you get a big bill, if it's more than £500 scrap it and so on.
    Alternatively as you have the motorbike work out what the car costs you to run for a year. Would it be cheaper to hire a car when you need one and get a cab occasionally? Can you join a car club? There are a few of them around here, not sure up there.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Well the young un was only up once last night so I got a pretty decent amount of sleep. He's fine and back to school today so all is well. Then I got to work and read my emails and that's farked me off so today's productivity score will be between -10 and 0.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Morning Cruddites, a great cycle into work today, warm enough for T-shirt and shorts, cool enough that it was an almost sweat free run in despite giving it some stick.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thekickingmule
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Broken down the car is worth scrap, repaired it will have some value so it might be the time to move it on once it's fixed. If the car is only worth £500 keep it and run it until it dies. If you get a bill for £500 scrap it and buy another one for £500. Run that until you get a big bill, if it's more than £500 scrap it and so on.
    Alternatively as you have the motorbike work out what the car costs you to run for a year. Would it be cheaper to hire a car when you need one and get a cab occasionally? Can you join a car club? There are a few of them around here, not sure up there.
    Stop talking sensibly.

Seriously though, yes, I know everything you're saying is true, I'm just not sure about buying a car for £500. Knowing my luck it would break down on the M62 too!
    I really should add up the cost of the car over the last 12 months and see how much renting and taxiing would be. Good shout
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    Stop talking sensibly.
    Sorry, I'll stop now. :oops:
    I'd nearly got rid of all my unread emails. Then all my customers woke up.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    Afternoon. Blergh and other noises of distaste. Work is being surprisingly not horrible so far which is nice. Dinner at the not-technically-in-laws tonight which promises to be delicious as usual.

Currently looking at pedals and grips on the internet and struggling to not spend money.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    So far so good. I haven't broken anything so today's productivity stands at 0. Spent the day researching walking and riding routes in the lakes, so not a day wasted. Time for a cup of tea I think.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    matthew h wrote:
    Earlier but slower start as youngest rugrat is eight today, so family breakfast before going to the joys of work. Today is understanding the impact of main minions husbands passing away and telling the team, it's not going to be a nice day.

Later is the pub, because given the choice of where to eat birthday chose the pub and steak!
    Happy birthday to Oliver reed junior :wink:

I had a minions other half die in the New Year - he was off on compassionate for 3 weeks then decided to retire as he needed a complete life change. Very sad but he'd been with us for decades and he was near retirement age anyway.

Anyhow, about to escape from work and have a relaxing pedal home through South London rush hour :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]