11 speed cranks with 10 speed chain/cassette

stevienicknacks
stevienicknacks Posts: 35
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Im sure this question ahs been asked and answered a few times but I cant seem to find a good response on a previous thread. Basically im running with an Ultegra 53/39 crankset 10 spd, 10 spd Ultegra chain and 10 speed Ultegra cassette. Im having a few niggles with my knee so considering swapping to shorter cranks to see if that helps. Ive got a nice SRAM RED crankset on the shelf which is ideal...but its 11 speed. I can see that the rings are tighter together just by laying the chain on it. Is this going to be an issue? thanks Steve

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,766
    This will be totally fine. The width difference between 10 and 11sp chains is only a fraction of a mm.

I ran an ultegra 11sp crankset with an old 105 drivetrain for a while without issues.
  • Thanks for the response FA. No issues with being in the small front ring and moving towards the top gear(ie the smallest size sprcket in the cassette), just wondering if the chain would rub against the large chainring due to the increased angle of the chain and lack of space between the 2 chain rings? thanks Steve
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes; I run an Ultegra 11sp chainset with an otherwise 10sp setup.
  • Thanks chaps