New gear cables - Stiffy!

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited March 2015 in Workshop
hello, me again.

I replaced all inner & outer cables today. For some reason, the gear levers are even stiffer than before, almost unusably so.

When assembling them , the cable moved freely through the outers and they were cut to match what i was replacing. I freed up the cable from the bars to make sure it wasn't contorted, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
The derailleurs move freely by hand, so the resistance has to be in the cable somewhere, or perhaps the cable guide.

Have I missed an obvious trick somewhere along the line?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Are the pips on the cable at the shifter end correctly seated in the shifters?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you using Shimano cables with SRAM shifters?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    All pips and nipples present and correctly positioned.

Using generic Clarks inners & outers with Shimano 105 shifters. I noticed that the OD of the outer is slighter smaller than the stuff I was replacing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are they 5700, ie the first 105's to have under bar tape shift cabling? I've read that they can be quite draggy with bog standard cables.

(I have the earlier 5600 with the less elegant cables coming out of the sides of the shifters and they get in the way of the lights and get right on my tits. Shifting is however pretty effortless)
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Peat wrote:
    New gear cables - Stiffy!

I like new cables as much as the next man, but I've never been affected in that way before :lol:

Yet to have a great experience with a Clarks cable though...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    When I first built my bike up the front was particularly stiff. I asked one of the guys in a good LBS and he thought it odd but said everything looked fine. Then the other mechanic said that the routing onto the front mech was wrong. It's hard to describe but there is a bit of casting that looks like the cable should go under it and onto the clamp bolt. But, the cable needs to go over it so increasing the leverage the cable can exert. Very small change made a huge difference. Quite a common mistake apparently.
    That was only on the front though.