Buying Help (Again)

Mattll13
Mattll13 Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Sorry for 'another' one of these posts guys. I'm sure you see them all the time. I'll try and keep it short.

Looking to spend £400. I don't think 29er look right. The wheels just look too big. Again when side by side the 26" wheel looks tiny.

I would like Hydraulic Disk Brakes.

So I first looked at these

Carrera Vulcan - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Voodoo - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... 13-2014-20

Then in a local bike shop they suggested Merida.

Any info/help/advice/ideas would be great.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Links don't work, but if the Voodoo is the Hoodoo model, I thoroughly recommend it.
  • Mattll13
    Links should work now sorry.

Just a little worried about the 26" wheels?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    No need to worry about them, manufacturers may be releasing less bikes with that wheel size but they are very unlikely to die off plus there's still more spare and tyres etc available for them than other wheel sizes.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    Decathlon Rockrider is worth a look with that sort of budget.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Merida make some decent bikes (ignoring that the Carrera's and Voodoo's are both made by Merida as well), but without a model ID it's hard to say whether its worth buying or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattll13
    It was the Merida Big Seven 40 which is £475. Bit more than I wanted to spend

I have looked at decathlon ones but I don't really like the look of the frame.
  • Mattll13
    So in actual fact it's £360 for the Vulcan or £380 for the Hoodoo
  • kahunajb
    kahunajb Posts: 26
    The voodoo hoodoo is very good.