2 ???'s for the price of one, wheel 'c' clip & front gears

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Wheel bearings:-

Under instruction from a mate we changed the bearings on my Bianchi Ambrosio wheels, simples.
For future reference I also got my mate to look at my other bikes Khamsin wheels, with an outer cover, over the bearings etc.
Colin tells me there's a tiny 'c' clip holding this cover in place, but we'd be jiggered if either of us could shift it. Admittedly we were, rather unscientifically, trying to 'hook' it out with a Stanley knife blade.
Assuming it needs to come out, can this clip be removed 'professionally'?

Chain slipping:-

As I'm here I might as well be lazy and double up the questions.
Changing from big to small on a standard double Veloce chainset occasionally the chain slips, by the best part of a half revolution.
I can't help thinking this is a standard fix, but it's new to me.
I'm a little wary to fettle as the bike in question has been super smooth all winter, and when I start mucking about there's a feeling of 'Father Ted knocking out a dent' to my work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Wheel bearings:-

For future reference I also got my mate to look at my other bikes Khamsin wheels, with an outer cover, over the bearings etc.
    Colin tells me there's a tiny 'c' clip holding this cover in place, but we'd be jiggered if either of us could shift it. Admittedly we were, rather unscientifically, trying to 'hook' it out with a Stanley knife blade.
    Assuming it needs to come out, can this clip be removed 'professionally'?

This video might help. Looks like you need to squeeze the circlip together with some suitable pliers before the clip will move easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnswbyW9ss
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Thanks, that's what I get for assuming there are specific things not on t'internet.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I make a little tent of masking tape over the axle to make sure that the spring clip doesn't escape into orbit and then just prise it apart with a couple of jewellers screwdrivers.
    Faster than a tent.......