Rough Rider - Paul Kimmage

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited April 2015 in Pro race
This absorbing and controversial film is now available on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmFN2RzfxA

I have searched and cannot see that this link has been previously posted.
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    thanks
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    I actually really enjoyed that - cheers. Kimmage comes across quite well, a bit less ebullient than he is sometimes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    comes across whiney and bitter.

He doped in the first place, so can't be annoyed that he never made it because others were. He was one of them and they were better.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Pretty ironic he rides a Giant: RabobankTeam Edition :roll:

Overall I just think he can't see past his bitterness, and can't keep an open mind to the possibility that things are (slowly) changing in the sport (in spite of recent events with doping). Would ahve thought this would be an important attribute in a so called investigative (don't forget 'award winning') journalist/author.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I like it that people take the risk and try to expose cheating and corruption, so that should be applauded.

However, he comes across as quite subjective, which is a dangerous trait for a journalist. I suspect his heart is in the right place, but he actually makes up his mind on stuff with very little evidence, which is not quite the same as being critical and sceptical.

And his driving makes him look like a plonker.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    sjmclean wrote:
    comes across whiney and bitter.

He doped in the first place, so can't be annoyed that he never made it because others were. He was one of them and they were better.

He does come across as bitter especially on Mount Ventoux, even if somewhat justified in losing a friend to PED's

But you have to remember that he was ostracised for a very long time. Could you imagine going to work everyday for years and people shunning you. Being sued and believing you could lose your home.

He is an ordinary man just like the rest of us and all of that ongoing would take its toll on you.

It appears he believed he was vindicated in everything he done but is hurt that no one really gave a shit and he is still on the outside. Then again he might not a f***
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Thanks for the link.
    I'm not really sure what the agenda was here. No real point to it and no conclusions. It was an insight into Kimmage himself but only really confirmed what I already thought of him. Fair play for the inclusion of parts that made him look a massive arse such as the way he speaks to his wife and driving up Alp Duez.
    He's clearly doing ok for himself but filmmaking doesn't appear to be be his future.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • It was OK... didn't think he seemed bitter under the circumstances, just somewhat obsessed with the issue, though possibly without that he might simply have walked away years ago.

After the retrospectve start and the drama of the defamation case by the UCI, I felt it began to lose momentum and have to admit i nodded off before the end of it - though that might be age and/or the threshold power intervals I was doing earlier.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Well worth watching
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I enjoyed it. He came across as I expected, a self-confessed pain in the arse but I like the guy.

Stephen Roche though, oh dear. Just admit it Stephen
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Crampeur wrote:
    I actually really enjoyed that - cheers. Kimmage comes across quite well, a bit less ebullient than he is sometimes.

Same here - that was a good watch. I was taken aback at how big his brother is, I remember them in Dublin as the organisers and heros of Tara Cycling club, the club we all aspired to belong to. The Kimmages and McQuaids were cycling royalty.

Of them all I think McQuaid has fallen the furthest.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Thanks for the link. Really enjoyed it. Saw a very different side to Kimmage, a more complex side. I think the first line of the whole piece, 'I can't be dispassionate about cycling', is why he comes across so badly sometimes. I'm not sure he will ever be able to look at pro cycling in any other way. Interesting that Vaughters seemed to have a bit of a soft spot for him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    For Kimmage fans, he's at the US Masters, where he will undoubtedly be asking the hard questions about doping, racism or sexism in golf and not behaving like a 'fan with a typrewiter' around Padraig Harrington

CCJZTHPWgAAaMFv.jpg

At least he's dressed for the occasion with a New York Giants cap. Five drug suspensions in three years, countless domestic abuse arrests. So what is it, Paul, that you admire about these arseholes?

Seriously, he's the George Galloway of cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    For Kimmage fans, he's at the US Masters, where he will undoubtedly be asking the hard questions about doping, racism or sexism in golf and not behaving like a 'fan with a typrewiter' around Padraig Harrington

CCJZTHPWgAAaMFv.jpg

At least he's dressed for the occasion with a New York Giants cap. Five drug suspensions in three years, countless domestic abuse arrests. So what is it, Paul, that you admire about these arseholes?

It's easy, it's because he wasn't a pro golfer, and isn't bitter that even after cheating he still wasn't good enough, because everyone else cheated.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    RichN95 wrote:

CCJZTHPWgAAaMFv.jpg

Kimmage fans play the "Attacking the Messenger" card
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!