Triban 500SE Gearing

urzrkymn
urzrkymn Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hello, recently entered the world of road cycling with a Triban 500SE. Really liking the bike, except where I live is very hilly, and the current gearing of a 50/39/30 crankset and a 12-25 cassette is killing me.
The crankset is a Shimano Claris and the cassette is a Sunrace as far as I can tell.
What would be the best option?

Thanks.

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It will take a 28 - no shame in opting for bigger sprocket until you get stronger :)
  • urzrkymn
    urzrkymn Posts: 10
    So putting a 28 cassette on? I take it I'd need to get a cassette with the same number of gears? Would a Shimano cassette fit?
  • You probably need to make sure of the specification of the rest of the drivetrain first - particularly what make/model of gear shifter you have and what make/model of rear derailleur. When changing the cassette, assuming you don't change the rear derailleur or the shifters, it's not enough simply to match the number of cogs. You also need to match the distance between the cogs, and that can vary, and also make sure that the rear derailleur can handle the larger cassette. Generally Shimano stuff is very cross-compatible, but if you can tell us the makes/models above, that will be a big help in getting you the correct information.

And just to back up lpretro1, don't think that you are in any way "wimping out" by changing cassette. Even the pros put 28-tooth (or even bigger) cassettes on for the mountain stages.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    No, you do only need to match the number of cogs. The distance between them changes with number of cogs, so all 8 speed Shimano have the same distance, all 9 speed shimano the same distance and so on across 10 and 11 speed.