Wet weather jacket reccomendation

hostman
hostman Posts: 104
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm after a decent wet weather jacket, something thin and light. Current one is a dare2b jacket, it's virtually impossible to zip up the rear pocket with winter gloves on and still a challenge with no gloves on!

While riding this morning I've also managed to rip off the zip pull :roll:

What do folks recommend?

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    As above really.

However, the Mossa does not have a zip pocket - although I think this will be rectified for the 2015 model.
    Here is a link to thread looking at the Mossa:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13013972
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Perhaps Stolen Goat? Review on Road CC
    http://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-go ... acket-red/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The SG isnt one you can put in a back pocket.

Altura Vapour is the one I use. Good reviews and its worked well for me so far. It will take up an entire back pocket though.
  • Skinner2k3
    Skinner2k3 Posts: 310
    I have an Endura Helium that I would recommend, packs away small enough to get in a pocket and so far I haven't found it too sweaty. Zips up to one side so doesn't rub your neck with the zip either.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    Rapha rainjacket - expensive but cheap ..... what I mean is that I spent quite a bit on jackets that just weren't good enough - water down the back, boil in the bag, pockets all wrong, always something to make me buy yet another one. The Rapha jacket is not cheap, but it is perfect. So, cost per wear, it is my cheapest jacket.
  • I've found my Rapha particularly effective - for the first six months after I bought it, I saw no rain at all when out on a ride!

Needs a fresh DWR application 12 months on, though.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Castelli Gabba would be my recommendation. Single most useful piece of bike kit I've ever had.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Castelli Gabba would be my recommendation. Single most useful piece of bike kit I've ever had.

He asked for a wet weather recommendation. In my experience the Gabba is crap in the wet. In fact I'd say it's overhyped. There are better jackets/jersies out there
  • letap73
    LegendLust wrote:
    Castelli Gabba would be my recommendation. Single most useful piece of bike kit I've ever had.

He asked for a wet weather recommendation. In my experience the Gabba is crap in the wet. In fact I'd say it's overhyped. There are better jackets/jersies out there

I certainly think the Mossa mentioned above is far superior to the previous edition of the Gabba -both of which I own. I could not make a comment with regards to the new Gabba.

BTW Legend Lust - your article in Cycling weekly was excellent.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    letap73 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

I certainly think the Mossa mentioned above is far superior to the previous edition of the Gabba -both of which I own. I could not make a comment with regards to the new Gabba.

BTW Legend Lust - your article in Cycling weekly was excellent.

That's very kind of you to say but how did you know that was me?
  • LegendLust wrote:

It is a wet weather recommendation, at least for me. I also have the Rapha rain jacket and Rapha hardshell. I got the (new) Gabba at Christmas, and I just don't wear the others any more. To be sure, it's only water "resistant" rather than water "proof", but waterproof keeps moisture in as well as out. So with a rain jacket you either have to put up with a cold clammy jacket all the time or faff around taking it off and putting it on, and make sure what you have on underneath is enough to keep you warm even without the windproofing of the jacket. Where a waterproof traditionally had the advantage was that when it was really wet, you stayed drier, and therefore warmer. But, at least in my experience, the Gabba still does a good job of keeping me warm even when it's really wet, especially if I wear a wool jersey under it, and then when it stops raining it dries quickly. Depends what bothers you more I guess.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286
    I would recommend this

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Madison-Road-Race-Apex-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket_68384.htm

Warning - sizes very small and really slim race fit.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    LegendLust wrote:

I thought the whole point of the Gabba was for wet weather? I'm torn on getting one myself, currently just use an Assos Sturmprinz if it's going to rain a lot, works well but it's not packable so if the sun does unexpectedly appear it can be an issue. Other than that I just use the normal jersey/jacket + carry a waterproof packable shell. The appeal of a Gabba to me looks like you can just ditch the packable shell (which can be a hassle if it's intermittent showers anyway) and rely on it either staying warm when wet or drying out quickly - is that not the case? Ofc if it's not as breathable as some say I'd rather stick with a decent breathable jersey/jacket and a packable rain shell
  • letap73
    nferrar wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

I thought the whole point of the Gabba was for wet weather? I'm torn on getting one myself, currently just use an Assos Sturmprinz if it's going to rain a lot, works well but it's not packable so if the sun does unexpectedly appear it can be an issue. Other than that I just use the normal jersey/jacket + carry a waterproof packable shell. The appeal of a Gabba to me looks like you can just ditch the packable shell (which can be a hassle if it's intermittent showers anyway) and rely on it either staying warm when wet or drying out quickly - is that not the case? Ofc if it's not as breathable as some say I'd rather stick with a decent breathable jersey/jacket and a packable rain shell

The Gabba was probably the first of its type in its versatility and as a consequence it has deservedly been a huge seller and something other manufacturers have attempted to replicate. In the case of the early edition of the Gabba, I think Legend Lust is correct to say that the Gabba has been superceded - I cannot vouch for the later edition of the Gabba. In fact I definitely prefer the Castelli Alpha jersey over the Gabba, which isn't marketed as a wet weather jersey but it does appear pretty water resistant from my experience. I think my Parentini Mossa is better than the Gabba because its comfortable to wear at lower temperatures, fits better, is lighter and appears to have better wind/rain protection - again this is wholly my experience.