Up to £1000 with Edinburgh Cycles - Work Scheme Purchase

Andy54057
Andy54057 Posts: 22
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just changed employment and I've got the option of up to £1000 from my pay before tax for a bike with Edinburgh Cycles, problem is I know very little about mountain bikes and would appreciate some of the more knowledgeable cyclists out there offering some advice as once I get to group-sets or gearing I'm lost (and thats before forks).

Bike will be ridden on roads, tracks and trails nothing too ninja…

It's for up to £1000 as stated, link to the Edinburgh Cycles below, also is their benefit for putting a couple of hundred in with the £1000 or simply settle for a good solid decent bike from those below….?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/ ... eHighToLow

I appreciate this question has been asked a thousands times before, Thanks for any help
Scott R3 custom build from a good mate (Morgfish.co.uk)....

Scott R3 2009 frame
SRAM Rival 2010 Groupset
Richey WCS Carbon Stem, Bars and Seat Post
San Marcos Seat
Mavic Ksyruim Elite wheels

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be aware of the options at the end of your one year lease, strictly you don't have £1000 to spend on buying a bike but to lease it for a year.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Not necessarily a cycle scheme, I have the option to do a similar thing under certain situation, just an advance of pay to spend on what I like.
  • Andy54057
    Andy54057 Posts: 22
    I've got to sort out the finer details, just wondered what to go for or look at on the list of available bikes as I've little knowledge on Mountain Bikes having nearly always been a road biker
    Scott R3 custom build from a good mate (Morgfish.co.uk)....

Scott R3 2009 frame
    SRAM Rival 2010 Groupset
    Richey WCS Carbon Stem, Bars and Seat Post
    San Marcos Seat
    Mavic Ksyruim Elite wheels
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    In terms of the bikes they are all pretty similar, although none are particularly very good value for money compared to bikes that can be bought elsewhere.

For forks, most seem to be either xc30 gold or xc32, the XC30 gold (previously recon gold I believe) should be better than the xc32 (better damping although the xc32 may have a stiffer chassis).

Drivetrain, for shimano you've got at the bottom acera, alivio (those 2 May be the other way round), deore, slx, xt and xtr at the top.

Forks are the most important single component so I'd be looking at the best for my money there.

Hope this helps
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I got my bike on the b2w scheme from edinburgh cycles a couple of years ago. I went for the focus black forest 29er 2.0. It's a great bike, I'm plenty happy with it so based on that I'd be looking at the Focus black forest 29er 4.0: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 29r-4-0-15
    Leaves you a bit change for a new lid or something else you might want/need.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava