Help please before I buy parts

delorean_dude
delorean_dude Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

In the summer of 2012 I purchased a Boardman Comp HT mountain bike. After returning the bike to the Halfords store several times due to a creaking crank (about which the staff were initially less than helpful) I was finally able to talk to a member of staff who listened to what I had to say. (The previous member of staff put the creak down to the seat and after 2 days of waiting found they had just changed the angle of my seat, despite my constantly telling them it happened mainly when I 'stood up' and rode). The bottom bracket was replaced shortly before the warranty expired and for a short time was noise free. The issue returned not long after, an occasional creak at first, gradually getting worse.

I believe this is a known issue with the frankly rubbish bottom brackets they use. I don't have much money at the moment but want to get back riding so found online an x5 crank and bottom bracket for £60. My concern is that it won't fit. Can anyone tell me if it will or not please>

The current bottom bracket and crankset are 'FSA alpha drive' and 'FSA power drive'. I was told to be care of the BCD.

Any advice greatly welcomed. Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BCD is irrelavent to the bottom bracket. If youre keeping the FSA cranks then go for a Shimano UN55 bottom bracket. Make sure you get the correct width, check the specs for your bike on the Boardman website.
    When you fit it, make sure the threads are clean and use some copper grease on the threads.
    Creaks can be very difficult to find. What sounds like a creak from the bottom bracket could even be the headset or the rear hub.
    Saddles are quite often the cause of creaks, removing the saddle and cleaning the rails, the clamp and the seatpost usually fixes them. Thats probably what Halfords tried. Dont be so quick to criticise them, creaks are rarely caused by what seems obvious. Quite often it might not show up on their test ride around the car park.
  • Hi,

Thanks, yeah when they changed the seat and I got it back it was creaking on the way home... I took it back and the bike expert had a go and straight away said new bottom bracket needed. It creaks when I stand up and ride it creaks more. It is definitely the bottom bracket as it also has a notchy feel.

I cant replace only the bottom bracket as it is a custom fitting so you can only use FSA crank arms so the whole lot needs replacing. Hence my concern over what will fit. I am unable to find any information on the bottom bracket or crank online and an email to Halfords 10 days ago has yet to yield a reply.

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just get a Shimano Deore crankset. Less than £50 including bottom bracket, much lighter, stiffer and more reliable.
    My FSA cranks just take a standard square taper bottom bracket but it looks like Alpha Drive uses a spline so you're stuck with FSA bottom brackets.