mackerel recipes

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Nah, I'm too lazy. After a ride I love a tin of it on a couple of slices of toast. The curry one is lush.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Ingredients

6 mackerel fillets
    ½ lemon
    10 juniper berries, lightly crushed
    1 sprig thyme, leaves only
    1 quantity sweet-sour marinade
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the marinade
    400ml/14fl oz water
    110g/4oz caster sugar
    100ml/3½fl oz lemon juice
    2 small licorice sticks, lightly crushed
    4 star anise

Preparation method

Pull out any pin bones from the mackerel using tweezers, cut the fillets into large diamonds and put them in a deep dish.

Cut the lemon half vertically through the middle, then slice it into thin semi-circles. Place these in between the mackerel diamonds, then scatter over the crushed juniper berries, salt, pepper and thyme.
    Combine the water, sugar and lemon juice for the marinade in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Toss in the licorice sticks and star anise and simmer for 1 minute.

Pour the marinade over the mackerel diamonds while still hot. Cover with cling film and leave at room temperature until completely cold, then refrigerate for 2-3 hours depending on the size of the fish, a maximum of 2½ hours for small fillets, otherwise the consistency of the fish suffers.
    Serve the mackerel straight from the dish, allowing everyone to season their own fish.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I'm a bit fussy with fish. I can never figure out why anyone would want to make it taste of something else, which I know is an odd reaction, because I'm quite happy to do this with any other ingredient.

For me, a mackerel recipe would be:- grill the mackerel, put it on a plate with some bread and butter.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I'm a bit fussy with fish. I can never figure out why anyone would want to make it taste of something else, which I know is an odd reaction, because I'm quite happy to do this with any other ingredient.

For me, a mackerel recipe would be:- grill the mackerel, put it on a plate with some bread and butter.
    I both agree and disagree with your!
    Fresh mackerel cooked really fast with just a little salt, pepper and oil is fantastic. A hot BBQ is ideal but not at this time of year :wink:
    Whatever you do just don't overcook mackerel or it's awful.

However I really like fish with a bit of flavouring too. Hake biryani is one of my favourites.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Love mackerel. Grew up on the south coast so used to fish them out the solent from a friends boat when I was younger.

Am a fan of the waitrose mackerel pate and don't eat enough fish so will try this out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bake a potato for 1hr - do it properly, smothered in olive oil and seasoned well.

Meanwhile fry some leak and spring onion...

Take your shrink-wrapped, (sustainably sourced) smoked mackerel out of the fridge and flake into a bowl. Add the leak and onion.

1hr has now passed and the two bottles of Goose Island IPA have given you a real appetite. But you'll have to wait another 30mins...

Take the baked potato out of the oven. Cut in half and carefully scoop out the soft, fluffy potato. Don't break the skin.

Now mix together the potato, mackerel, leak and onion. Add a dollop of horseradish sauce for good measure. Scoop the mixture back into the skins.

Put back in the oven. Open another bottle of Goose Island IPA.

After 20mins, take the potato out of the oven. Enjoy with your fourth bottle of Goose Island IPA and an episode of Top Gear.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • RideOnTime
    I think I prefer the above method to;

2 small licorice sticks, lightly crushed
    4 star anise

Isn't star anise something in your butt...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    coriordan wrote:
    Love mackerel. Grew up on the south coast so used to fish them out the solent from a friends boat when I was younger.

Am a fan of the waitrose mackerel pate and don't eat enough fish so will try this out.

I have to have yearly blood checks. Last year when i went they commented on my good levels of omega3 and asked if I ate a lot of fish. Well, I don't eat masses, the occasional mackerel and weekly cod+chips with my mum, so I was a bit confused. It was only later that I remembered the cod liver oil capsule I have each morning. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• RideOnTime
    Ingredients
    Serves: 4

3 eggs
    200g bag of crispy leaf salad
    350g smoked mackerel
    1 chopped red apple
    2 tsp lemon juice
    6 tbsp good-quality salad cream
    2 tsp lemon juice

Method
    Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min

Add 3 eggs to a pan of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and put them into a bowl of cold water to cool.

Arrange a 200g bag of crispy leaf salad on a serving platter or four individual plates. Top with 350g smoked mackerel, skinned and broken into large flakes, and 1 chopped red apple tossed in 2 tsp lemon juice. Peel and quarter the eggs and add to the salad.

Mix 6 tbsp good-quality salad cream with 2 tsp lemon juice and drizzle over the salad. Grind over a little black pepper.

Shopping tip

Choose an English-style salad mix, with shredded lettuce leaves, grated carrot and raw beetroot, or a combination of slightly bitter leaves such as frisée, chicory and radicchio.

…taste tip
    Although most bags of salad leaves are ‘ready-to-use’, if you have time it's best to freshen them up by rinsing them thoroughly with cold water, then draining well or whizzing in a salad spinner.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,623
    Capt Slog wrote:

This ^^ Just grill it although I'd slap it on a plate, not put it.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    RideOnTime wrote:

He made sure those fillets were cooked!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/