Hi guys

Christiangaz777
Christiangaz777 Posts: 7
edited March 2015 in MTB beginners
I am 31, and havnt riden a bike since I was 12 or so. I just bought a second hand Giant Revel 4 (2013) second hand from cash converters (in UK) Since the bike is discontinued you cant get the bike any more at least at the price. (£200) It was a bit of an impulse buy, but when I got my job I really wanted to be able to ride to work.

I have a concern. The bike is 26'. I am 5'4. I did my homework on this. That is the perfect size for me in that respect. BUT the bike underneath the seat says L, obviously stands for large. Now that should be good for someone of 5'9+. I can just about touch the floor with my toes.

I was told there is no returns, so I am stuck with it. I have crippling worry. The bike feels massive to me. I havnt got a clue. One thing I do know is the seat is uncomfortable for me. It is at its lowest height.

Would be great if someone could get back to me to spare me any more worry.

God bless
Garry

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sell, sell , sell.

I'm 5'5 and a small would be right, a large is more towards 6'.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Is there no way I could get the bike to fit to me? I mean what should I be looking for. Maybe I can get used to it? Not sure I can get the price I Bought for
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its too big. Wheel size is irrelavent to the size of a bike, its the frame size that matters.
    You just arent ever going to make it fit you. Either sell the bike or strip it, sell the frame and buy a small frame.
  • Oh gosh. Im sure to strip it would be too much trouble. Im such a ditz
  • I mean im looking I measured from the spoke (or whatever it is called just under the seat to the pedal. Maybe it could pass for 16' but looks like a 17' to me. Maybe will have to wait until daylight
  • Ive done a couple of tests which say that the bike should be ideal. But I will take it into a bike shop maybe they can help me more
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should meet Cody.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Who is Cody
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    We need to lock them both in a bunker together.

Neither accepts advise, even after asking for some.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    Yep, you bought the wrong size bike on impulse i'm afraid. I'm 5ft7 on a good day and would be looking at medium or small depending on the brand and bike.

If you want to commute on it you can make a few adjustments to help but it's all comprimise.

Seat down is obvious which you've done but you can move the seat forward which will shrink the distance between you and the bars, this may give you and awkward pedelling motion and cause knee and/or back pain. For a few quid, buy the shortest stem available. This does the same but what you get is more sensitive stearing.

Taking it off road will probably give you a worse experience than you could get on a better fit bike.

I would sell it, even if you make a £50 loss and buy the right bike second hand. The Revel isn't a bad entry level hard tail (i bought one for the Mrs), it's nothing to write home about though. £200 is maybe top end for a second hand one so I would only have paid that if it was in perfect condition, i.e. bought, ridden once and stored in a garage with no signs of rust.

Think of it this way, if you sell it for £150 you can buy another for £150, then your initial investment for a bike still lands you with a bike. You already made the mistake of paying a bit too much so suck it up and get the right one for you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's just for on road commuting, then it's not necessarily too big, my road going hybord is a lot longer than my off road mountain bike.

Whether you can touch the ground while sitting is irrelevant, in fact you shouldn't be able to as you set the saddle to give the right position for pedalling which is that you leg should be nearly, but not quite, straight with your heal on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke (you can tweak it from that but it's a good starting point).

Frame size is from the middle of the axle that the cranks (the bits the pedals screw into) to the top of the frame where the clamp holds the seat post in place, letter A on this page
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/text/framegeometry.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.