Down grading my cassette

dave1653uk
dave1653uk Posts: 259
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.
I'm running a 10 speed cassette at the mo, on a hope pro 2 evo hub. Question is, would my hub run a 8 speed cassette or would I need spacers?

regards
Dave

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    8,9,10 speed are all the same width in mtb cassettes, so no spacers needed.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    out of interest why would you want to swap?
  • Thanks for the info. My reason for wanting to downgrade is excessive wear and gear slipping with the 10 speed. I've put it down to the narrower chain. No amount of cable adjustment makes any difference. It's fine until I put weighted pressure, (such as when I'm setting off from a standing start) on when i'm in the smaller gears.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Sounds more like wear than a characteristic of using 10 speed.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Have you recently put a new chain on?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So something is worn, fix it, replacing shifters, mechs and chain for the sake of one or two components is madness!

The key part of the 10 speed chain (the rollers) is the same width as 8 speed anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You might be right about it just being worn. I just checked when I got the bike and it was Nov 2013 and I've done a hell of a lot of riding since then. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun. Unnecessary crisis averted. Time to replace chainset methinks.

thanks Guys
    Dave. (feeling old and stupid)
  • Why are you now talking about the chain set? Might help if you answer the questions